Propane turbo 300 six

67mustangat16

So I'm gonna go with something really experimental and build a turbo charged propane fueled 300 six. Should be interesting. So I've read that propane is really good for turbo's as it has a high octane rating, is cold, and the carburetor's are really easy to set up with turbo. The only thing I'm wondering is the compression ratio. Propane likes to run on a really high compression ratio but with a turbo'd motor without extreme internals you don't want high compression. So I was wondering if the turbo would solve the compression issue with propane if you keep the compression at a stock ratio.

This is exactly what I'm gathering parts to do. From my research, even with propane you want a lower compression engine when you turbocharge it. The turbo will be able to pack in more air (higher boost) without running into detonation issues from what I have read.

I'm planning on staying at around 8 psi boost and below 4,000 rpm with mine. I'm looking for low-end torque with spool-up around 1500 rpm. I'm not building one to race, I'm building one to work with. If you are planning on racing or running higher boost, your set-up may differ from mine.

Mines going into a 67 mustang so towing isn't exactly my main priority... :eek: And for me I'm thinking staying low compression that way I might be able to go with higher boost an intercooler along with the cooling of propane even higher boost and a cam to free up some of the rpm range for me. And just curious are you keeping the stock cam or going with another one? Crane cams has a hydraulic one that says for mild turbocharged it has a 204-216 degrees duration at .050 and a lobe of 112 with a power range of 1200-4600. Would this be good with a turbo? I know a bit about cams n/a but almost nothing with a turbo.

I'm trying to build mine as cheaply as I can, so it's going to be the stock cam. My entire idea is to use as few specialty parts as possible to keep the cost down. This is going to be a working ranch pick up. Basically a daily driver/rolling toolbox/light towing vehicle. So far, chassis and engine, I'm into it less than $900. I'm hoping to keep the entire project, including paint, under $4000 if at all possible. If I can, it should pay for itself in two years just in fuel-cost savings. If I every have to go into the engine, I may upgrade the cam then.

Ok heres some thoughts for you, down here in Australia this sort of thing is done quite a bit, we call the propane LPG if you want to search.
As to your engine chioce it hardly matters, but we wouldn't use a lump like the 300, our OHC and DOHC falcon 6s would eat the 300. However the LPG is a good for boost and your setup is going in the right direction, I wouldnt use any cam other than the stocker, and an intercooler on that boost isnt needed, if you really want cooling use water injection. CR is best kept to about 8:1, the 300 might already be that.
LPG, unless its in the liquid phase is NOT cold, generally it will come out of the vapouriser warm, so dont try to consider that effect in your planning.
If you want to see what be done trying searching for LPG turbo stuff in Australia, youll find good stuff. And yes AK Miller did some good work but it was 30 years ago You might also like to search "gas research Australia" they are pretty knowledgeable with this.
BTW Im building an LPG fuel Ford crossflow 200 with a Sprintex (screw type) blower.
Anyway keep working on it
A7M

Sometimes I wish I lived in australia...:p I know there was a guy in battle ground WA with some ohc falcon sixes with tranny and exhaust for around 1200. Kinda steep I thought for a motor and transmission combo. Thing about the 300 up here theres lots of them and lots of parts for them. And your build sounds awesome! Thanks for the advice

I'm headed in the same direction and will post as i get my butt in gear. on this .
the cost of fuel is a very big motivator, you might call it a "driving factor" in getting this done!

:eek: For a wild and crazy LPG TURBO INLINE 6,check out the Feb 2013 issue of Modified Mustangs & Fords.
Seems like a fellow down Australia way did a 4.0L inline six.The article starts on page 32.
The builders name is John Colaidis.8.98 quarter at 154 MPH.Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.It`s also a daily driver.And I almost forgot.It`s a 65 Mustang.Also.It dynoed at 811 HP.Hehehehe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

The mustang 1tuf65 is all over youtube if you want to look. The engine is the AU Falcon sohc six, Ive got one in my AU, VCT version in mine. the cranks are bigger in the mains than all previous sixes and it has cross bolted mains with an alloy sump, and steel main girdle. The head is hemi style OHC with roller followers, they are bomb proof. The stock engine is good for 172kW which is about 240BHP. After that you can go mad, the BA DOHC engine is similar in the bottom end.
Ive got the previous crossflow head 200 six with the GRA mixer, B2 convertor (just 1) and the screw type blower, Im not aiming for anywhere near the power level of the mustang, just a streetable 200kW, which shouldn't be too difficult, Ive got the alloy crossflow head with a compression ratio of about 8:1, Ive made my own intake manifold out of steel. The cam is a small camtech one which should give me power to about 5500rpm.
The car is a 65 Falcon ute (pickup/ranchero to you guys) remember our "utes" are slighty different to yours, we have sedan doors and a longer tray, wheelbase is the same, but there is a shorter overhang.
Im running a locallly made 4 speed and rear axle. Total weight should come out at around 1200kg which with the 200kW should give good performance.
Hope this is of some interest
A7M

Back