So, I'm debating what to do about an engine in my car...

Its very complicated to phase in and out the right kind of boost that suits the compression ratio and induction type. It requires really good engineering understanding. I have some of it, but any staging can be a nightamre.

After a long gestation, Fiat opted out of the twincharge system, and instead, this is how complicated it got...the ECV1 and 2 TRIFLUX Fiat Lancia Group B engine.

It was a beautifull solution, using a mixture of 1963-1983 Giotto Bizzarrini Lamborghini 3.5/4.0 V12 and Fritz Fiedler 1934 era in line six BMW 328 down draft induction porting, but also two exhaust outlets each side, with one branch for access, and two of dispersal. TheTriflux treated the four cylinder engine like a twin turbo V8. It used a crossed 16 valve head, a double crossflow and it worked...easily. 600 to 800 hp without a problem from 1759 cc's.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/the-triflux/

To create low end boost and high end power, the static compression has to be dropped too much. The twin charge system has to be differentially balanced, or boost modulated, and that requires a high degree of understanding. I'd personally use a stock engine with an M112 Supercharger, EDIS, and then run a large single like does 10's on the other side, and use the supercharger as if it was a 347 cubic inch engine, then size the turbo for hot stroker 347 single turbo.

One intercooler can be hooked into the turbo conventionally before the supercharger plenumb. Blow off protection to the supercharger is what is at stake. You'd start with a 9 psi supercharger, limited by belt drive, and then over boost it with another 8 psi peak from a big turbo. You'd EFI it with a simple set of six injectors, and supply air via Ak Millars 'HoresingAround With the Poney Six" four port conversion, plus the single barrel via a Technco 2-bbl on the 1'bbl intake log. 4 +2 =6 inlets from a 4.9 truck plenub with an 4.9 EFI six, and a 2-bbl EFI throttle body from a bank fire 5.0 or 5.8 F150 truck.

At least that way the only issue would be how the drive to the m112 would cope up gentle controlled turbo boost. The set up of the fuel delivery tables could be taken car of by 6 bank fire, and an extra two for charge cooling the plenumb or down stream in the exhaust for Anti Lag. Something like Megasquirt 2 allows all that kind of stuff.

I build Ford Six engines, using the Aussie blocks. The European twin super+turbo thing is very smart. Back in the day, the Austrailan EFI Turbo Falcon by AIT used a stock Bosch LE-II system, and a US SVO upstream injector system to feed the needs of the turbo. Those systems were very simple and without supercharger and turbo phasing. About 1987, AIT went to a twin turbo system, and it was even better.

Most twin turbo systems are a pile of dog crud. 50% of all systems fail to reliase the designers original intentions. IMHO, Most of the drivablity matters could be taken care of by the lines of code that exist in MS2. The VW system exists because the Tier IV emsisions standards for CO2 and fuel consumption favoured it for a while. Same with twin turbo Subrarus. These systems are a marketing tool, and serve a puropse for selling cars, or in FIAT/Lancias case, winning motor racing catagories at all costs. Vette ZR1 or Subaru style valet modes, or Hp locks, or going from the perfect example of sublime quietness, to ridiculus levels of boost, that's why we have VTEC as well. Its all good until a part stops working.

17 pounds of total boost with the anvil hit down low of a proper m112 would take care of anything. The I6 is not a free reving engine unless you liberate the log intake porting Ak Miller style, and start playing with excellent cam profiles, but the combination would be very good if you spent the time. Piston and valve seat life would most likely be best if it was set up for higher compression, and let the igntion advance be less aggressive.

xctasy":3pnat22i said:
17 pounds of total boost with the anvil hit down low of a proper m112 would take care of anything. The I6 is not a free reving engine unless you liberate the log intake porting Ak Miller style, and start playing with excellent cam profiles, but the combination would be very good if you spent the time. Piston and valve seat life would most likely be best if it was set up for higher compression, and let the igntion advance be less aggressive.

I think this bit is the core of it. Without literally mountains of work the I6 is never going to have the functional rev range where multiple points of forced induction are going to be necessary. You're well within a rev range a Roots-type blower can handle by itself, and you have enough displacement to make up for turbo lag if you prefer that approach. The real reason to pursue a twin-charged system would be a wide rev range where an appropriately sized turbo can't breathe at one end or the other, or a Roots supercharger runs out of breath. Those just aren't vintage I6 concerns. :)

Thanks for dropping that knowledge guys. As it seems the type of set up would be pointless, I'll probably go with just a plain old turbo. I'm about ready to start collecting parts. I'm going to pull the engine apart and refresh everything and replace any parts that need it as the fist step. I'd like to get a carb and dissy to install when I put the motor back together, but since classic inlines isn't doing orders anymore, I'm gunna have to try and figure all this stuff out differently now.

I think I'm going to try this build Linc style and go for fairly inexpensive and see if I can actually do the fab work and make it run.

Any suggestions for inexpensive OEM turbos that might work well on our motors? I'm thinking possibly a turbo from a volvo or I'm not sure the chinese ebay turbos are reliable enough to bother using.

Back