Intakes almost ready - update 1-8 are READY

Mike,

I was just poking through Edelbrock's 2008 New Products Brochure and on page 5 I found some potentially useful items to go with the new intakes until you've got something of your own to fit the bill.

Edelbrock has some new cast elbow adapters that allow a person to mount a LS1, LS2 or Ford 5.0L-based throttle body to a regular square-bore carb intake. And they vary in height with some being ultra low to get around hood clearance issues.

It seems to me that a stock Ford 5.0 liter V8 throttle body might be pretty close to what you'd want for a hot EFI set up on a 250 (and perhaps even a 200) with your new head, and I bet there are a bunch of the 5.0 guys who have them sitting in boxes and on shelves in the garages because so many of them seem to upgrade to larger ones.

:D

Combine one of your aluminum heads, one of these elbows, a throttle body, some kind of EFI controller, some appropriate sensors and wiring, and one of your 4 barrel intakes with adapter plate, injectors and fuel rail and you'd have a potentially decent EFI system ready for tuning.

VROOM! VROOOM!

:)

Heres a couple of pics of mine.....

4Vonintake2.jpg

4Vonintake1.jpg

I'm not running a hood right now thus the 4" tall airfilter ;)

Its a 600 cfm Holley 4 bbl, with a quick change secondary spring kit and no choke.

I spent several of my lunch hours this week getting it all set up and ready to go.

Now I just have to get it mounted on the motor!

Later,

Doug

FalconSedanDelivery":1xgwouk2 said:
It will perform better if you turn the carb with the primarys facing the valve cover

Shock tower is right there in the way. Wont work.

If the primaries face the valve cover then the throttle cable and mount will not clear the shock tower.

If the primaries face the shock tower then its a pain in the rear to pull the bowl to change jets and i wont do it.

Nice theory you have but sometimes reality gets in the way! :) ;)

Later,

Doug

Yep, me too! Track opens April 1 weather permitting.

Later,

Doug

What about reversing the opening direction of the throttle plates? (Just being "shmoozo" here and flying a kite...) Or are internal ports all going to be in the wrong places?

addo":150krwj7 said:
What about reversing the opening direction of the throttle plates? (Just being "shmoozo" here and flying a kite...) Or are internal ports all going to be in the wrong places?

Never mind the ports. You can't reverse the opening direction of the throttle plates unless you move to the southern hemisphere or install the carb on an engine with the intake on the driver's side. (Coriolis effect, you know.)

:D

Doug,

You can turn the carb sideways. Just use one of these (pic below), and leave your hood off. You might need to put a spacer under it to clear the valve cover, but you won't have any shock tower clearance issues. Heck, you might even be able to use a cowl hood? ;)

Or you could make a custom tunnel ram with three or four 2" spacers, turn the carb sideways, and install one of those carb scoops on top. Of course this would require cutting a hole in the hood, but the V8 guys do it. :D

Just kidding. The setup looks great. Can't wait to see how your motor responds to a 4V carb. I thought about sending you a spare 2V adaptor, just in case you wanted to see how the 2V compares to the 4V. Wouldn't take much to swap from one to the other.

I'll be sending you one of the proto type air cleaners (8x11 oval) next week, so you can paint it to match your valve cover and verify the fitment. I need to make sure they fit, and look good, before ordering 100 castings (minimum order).

ram-adapt.jpg

AzCoupe":2lkjyw4x said:
... You can turn the carb sideways. Just use one of these (pic below), and leave your hood off. You might need to put a spacer under it to clear the valve cover, but you won't have any shock tower clearance issues. Heck, you might even be able to use a cowl hood? ...

Out of curiosity, those look like real products, but I'm at something of a loss to see why somebody would want them. Are they intended for a specific application?

That 10.25 measurement is gonna put that manifold right on top of my shock tower...not even sure if it will clear. :cry:

Gene Fiore":qt2kogst said:
That 10.25 measurement is gonna put that manifold right on top of my shock tower...not even sure if it will clear. :cry:

Did you measure from the rim of the valve cover?

Gene,
I think Mike was trying to indicate the measurement from the valve cover mounting flange to the end of the manifold. Although his picture doesn't really show that to well.
FWIW there's about 2" distance on Kelly's Falcon between the shock tower and the intake.
I would think it fit on your Maverick! But I don't have, and I haven't heard of anybody with one installing an aluminum head.
So you may have to be the ginny pig!
Later,
Will

Either way you measure, whether from the valve cover flange or water neck bolt hole, the dimension is still the same, right. I hope I'm way off on it. I thought that the early Falcons might have more room than the Mavericks, but I can't be sure of that. If push comes to shove I'll have to notch the tower, but I hope it doesn't come to that. ;) Unfortunately, it looks like it won't be anytime soon that I'll be finding this out. I thought I was going to be able to do my buildup this spring, but that's not going to happen due to lack of funds. :cry:

Back