oz-250 head?

grocery getter

Famous Member
with the aluminum heads on the market, what's the value of the oz head? i'm hoping you alum guys start putting your old oz-250's up for sale 8)

With all the new Mustangs out there, what's the value of a well-kept 1967 fastback? :p

With all the new bottles of wine on the market, what's the value of a 1985 Dom Pérignon? :eek:

I can't actually see the heads diminishing in value, as they're usually priced cheaper to start with than the new heads. So both will find somewhat different markets.

addo":6wnbqrbs said:
With all the new Mustangs out there, what's the value of a well-kept 1967 fastback? :p

With all the new bottles of wine on the market, what's the value of a 1985 Dom Pérignon? :eek:

I can't actually see the heads diminishing in value, as they're usually priced cheaper to start with than the new heads. So both will find somewhat different markets.

I see where you're going with that, but the oz-250's weren't original here. so, I doubt the iron will have anyone getting sentimental. :LOL:

there should be more availability with the alums on the market.

The alloy head isn't cheap. It's price reflects the cost of R&D, and the present exchange rate. I would prefer to see it dearer, as it leaves so little profit for Mike compared to the fat margins big companies graze on.

Around $1750 plus shipping, compared to a typical sale price of $600-$1200 for an OEM 2V head (Phil Newell has one up on Ebay at present for $800); they will find different markets and I can't see the original slumping, especially in the face of "aspirational" buyers.

My cynical observations include that - if you do a darned good resto on a car, people want to "help" you when it comes to the motor build, and stuff can get very affordable, suddenly. ;) It's madness from that perspective, to build a motor first.

the alloy head is a clear winner. the foresight to cast in the efi potential takes it head and shoulders above the old head. factor in the weight advantage.
I'd put the value of the cast iron head(ready to bolt up) at 50% of the alloy.I don't own one so that's easy for me to say. I'm wondering what value the current owners of the alloy and oz heads have to say.

I agree with Addo.

I have two cast iron heads, one is on my 67 coupe, the other sitting on a shelf. Considering the 67 is a show car and was built for the purpose of displaying my products, it only makes sense to install the aluminum head, which I'll be doing sometime this spring.

However, I'm not sure I want to sell either one. Someday they'll be a collectors item, maybe not here but definitely in AU. Especially for those restoring a Falcon to its original condition. Hence, I believe they're going to go up in value, rather than down.

The one on my 67 only has about 100 miles on it since the rebuild. It has custom Manley stainless steel valves, hardened seats, dual springs, and teflon seals. It's also has a mild port and polish. The 2V intake is in excellent condition and has been ceramic coated, and has a new Holley 350cfm sitting on it. I figure the combo is worth $1450-1500.

The other is freshly rebuilt with hardened seats, oversized SI stainless valves, single springs with dampers, and teflon seals. However, it has a triple SU intake with the carbs and linkage, which makes it worth considerably more. I'm not sure what it worth nowdays but I'd guess at least $2200, and its only going to go up in value due to its rarity. I've turned down several offers on the intake and carbs, as I won't sell them seperately.

If you purchase a used head, you'll need to install hardened seats, new valves, springs, seals, and a carb adaptor. Plus labor, your going to have at least $1200 in it. Therefore I don't see anyone selling thier iron head and intake for less than $1100-1200, unless they are hard up for cash and willing to take a loss.

An engineer friend of mine is from down under & his brother is a mechanic there. He asked his brother to search out some 2v heads for him & his brother told him that they are getting very scarce and are going for about $800 US so we are all better off saving our pennies & going with the Aluminum Head. Does FSPP offer an installment plan? :)

AzCoupe":17bqkrdn said:
The one on my 67 only has about 100 miles on it since the rebuild. It has custom Manley stainless steel valves, hardened seats, dual springs, and teflon seals. It's also has a mild port and polish. The 2V intake is in excellent condition and has been ceramic coated, and has a new Holley 350cfm sitting on it. I figure the combo is worth $1450-1500.

That's in the ballpark of ~$400.00 for head work and 200.00 for the carb. $800.00 looks to be the number.

as always, the bottom line is ----> it's worth what someone will pay for it.

Thanks for the replies

Back