New Head into a Boat?

Roath

Hi Guys

I've been drooling over the new head for close to a year now. I have a very very tight engine compartment that fits my 250 log motor. I have looked for ages for an engine that would fit and give me some more HP, but found nothing.

What would be the narrowest option for a carb setup with the new Head?

Triple throttle bodies require the least amount of room. Next would be Mikuni, Keihin, or Dellorto carbs, which are made for motorcycles. And finally triple Webers, or SU's. You'd have to fabricate your own intake manifold, but I don't think it would be to difficult, especially for the Mikuni, Keihin, or Dellorto carbs. Only problem, their a bit pricey, but you might be able to find some used ones for a decent price.

These are Keihin FCR carbs.
fcr-sngl.jpg
fcr-dbl.jpg

These are Mikuni TM33 carbs
polished.jpg

TM33.jpg

Quick Question.. Any reason you couldn't use a plenum box like the one in the other thread
extrudabody1.jpg

Bolt it straight to the head (no manifold), put injectors into the head itself and a single large throttle body on the front opening? That seems like it would be fairly streamlined and you could put the air filter someplace out of the way. The way I look at it any of the other throttle body or carburator options are going to need some sort of air cleaner or adapter to the air cleaner attached to them and are going to get too wide for a narrow engine compartment..

I'm sure it wouldn't be the end all for performance but the packaging should be tight!

-ron

I'm putting together a motor for my 66 coupe, which is a 250ci with forged flat tops and a 292 solid lifter cam. The head is fully ported and flows 231/184 respectfully. I want to keep it naturally aspirated for the time being, but I kept the C/R at 9:1 so I can add a S/C down the road.

For induction, I plan to use triple throttle bodies with dual injectors. One in the cylinder head, and one in the velocity stack. Using injectors in the cylinder head, which point directly at the back of the intake valve, improves emissions, idle and throttle response. While the injectors in the velocity stacks will increase top end power.

Using multiple throttle bodies cost more than a single TB, however they maximize air flow and allow for multi-point injection, in this case 12 point. I plan to use a plenum design that utilizes velocity stacks, rather than one that simply has the tubes welded directly to the chamber. Velocity stacks are a very important part of the induction system, as they increase the speed & volume of air flowing into the induction system (up to 19%), improve throttle response and atomization, and enhance torque thru-out the entire rev range. If you look inside the plenum chamber pictured above (and below), you can see the ends of velocity stacks.

extrudabody2.jpg

Finally, I'll add a remote cold air intake using a high flow cone filter. Down the road, when I'm ready, I'll add the blower. I'm not sure which one at this point, but it will be very easy to adapt.

I estimate the induction system (manifold, plenum chamber, TB's, fuel rails, regulator, etc) will cost around $1500-2000, and will fit in a space no wider than 7 inches at the front, and 6 inches at the back. My goals are 350-400HP N/A, 450-500HP boosted, and 25-26mpg.

Thanks Guys..lots to drool over.. and finally some rough ideas at measurements. I'll convert to modern day measurements and check out the size I have. ;)

I was thinking of that adapter I saw in another thread that brings the carb over the top of the rocker cover.. but I would loose my table with a huge carb up through the middle of it!

I dont need huge amounts more power. I will start with the upgraded Dizzy on a fresh stock motor first and see what that does. Do you know if the DUI dizzie will fit on the standard Ozzie 250?

Actually , maybe I should state my goals..

My WOT is currently just under 3000 rpm. I would like to get to 3600 ish.. which will be the fastest the boat should go safely...

I'm turning a 3 stage hamilton jet, so the torque is what is important... not revs

Would that suit injection?

Hey Mike

Firstly there is no way the new head will fit , but I am working on my new motor now.

What I cant get confirmed is if the DUI dizzy you sell would work on the Aussie 250. Can you confirm?

Thanks

Rob :x

Back