Fuel Injection questions

66shelby

I am going to pick up an E8 head soon for the turbo/EFI 250. Can't afford the new head yet, so I am doing what I can.

My current plan is to fabricate a header from sch. 40 steel weld fittings. I have picked up on the " 2- 3 cylinder motors" concept and plan to feed a tangential T4 with pipes from the front and rear banks.

I have several ideas on the FI setup. I have a 3.8 V6 CFI unit, a couple of single hole throttle bodies, and some fuel rail and injectors. All of these items are freebies so I can cut and play with no remorse.

I know the CFI won't support the HP I am looking for under boost. I am toying with adding 2 additional injectors on each end of the log. Probably between #1 & #2 and #5 & #6. Just install a bung, hold down and plumb them in. I was hoping the MegaSquirt would allow me to kick these in only under boost conditions, but what I have read on the web site they are batch fire only.

I know the best way to do this would be individual port injectors. I have some fuel rails I could use, but they are evenly spaced and would not line up with the ports. Is it absolutely necessary that the fuel be sprayed directly into the runner?

Does anyone have experience with an auxillary setup like I describe? Any thoughts on how to enable the aux units only on boost, like with a hobbs switch?

Almost all of the fun I have playing with the I6 is having to design and build what I want, You can't just call Summit or Jegs and order parts. Thank heavens for Mike, or we would not have a thing to work with.

Haltech or some of the other more expensive efi controllers will give you the control you want. They are commonly used in the rotary engine world. Mazda 13B motors use two primary fuel injectors and two secondary fuel injectors, where the secondaries come on at a specified rpm on naturally aspirated motors and *I think* get complete fuel maps for the turbo models. Of course the Haltech unit is going to run you a lot more money than the MegaSquirt route.

I have a 3.8L cfi setup I was gonna run. but also picked up two 5.0L ones (one being the HO with 52# injectors)

looks for one of those to support some more power (mine came off a crownvic)

btw I am trying to sell my port EFI project and turbo setup.....includes a head that is about half finished (bungs welded) the turbo adn manifold comp cam, roller rockers, BOV and I can even toss in the CFI bits for ya

I know I've seen threads on your project. PM the particulars and let's talk. If you have pictures of the current state of your stuff, post them up here. Might be some other folks doing this also.

69, you hit the nail on the head! Everyone has a budget to work with. The MegaSquirt may be the largest cash outlay I have to make for this entire project. I don't know precisely what the other programmable systems run, but I do remember cringing heavily.

My freinds and I have been bench racing this motor for a while now, and I have been lurking here to pick up bits. None of us have experience with turbo's or EFI. So I snoop and try to find proof my theory is sound.

My thinking is that some of the wet flow from the injector will stick to the floor of the intake. There may be enough thermal energy to vaporize it for the intake stroke on the two outside cylinders. I am assuming the behaviour of the charge would be similar to that of the TBI alone.

By using the two extra injectors I can use the 42lb formula X 4 to support 300 hp. This would keep me in the factory replacement category and allow "peak/hold" at maximum requirements.

Doing this on the cheap is part of the appeal. Blowing up an engine is expensive so I want to think things through as much as possible.

Back