Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
Progress to date:
sr012.jpg

sr016.jpg

sr017.jpg

sr018.jpg

Have you ever used three of those 1bbl Holleys from the 50's/60's that sported rectangular glass floatbowls? Since we are talkin a visual as well as mechanical effect.
I remember those lil 1bbls had economiser valves, too......is there some reason I havent seen any of those model carbs on the (few) tripower 6 setups ive had the delight to see? Usually, I see those.....strombergs?, a la 235 Chevs....Im aksin coz if i find a triple manifold at a swap meet, Im wantin to use them carbs. But if cool looks are outwieghed by some inherent shortcoming, Ill stick to the Offy C.
I always thought they were neat looking,- artful, rather Hunnish in thier stark outline. & id always scrounge glass bowls for my friends rigs.....saved me trouble, as I was the on call wrench for all sorts of hipsters in rural Varmint, way back when....Id know at a glance if the pothead was outta gas. Or had crap under the bowl inlet valve.

mutt":kit8enh5 said:
Have you ever used three of those 1bbl Holleys from the 50's/60's that sported rectangular glass floatbowls?

Good idea mutt. I'll start looking for them. I want to dress up the engine to make it look old - I thought about hanging those brass/glass oiler reservoirs on the engine and snaking a few polished copper lines around the rear too.

SuperMag":2rkyt7uo said:
Is the "inspection window" on the side of the block a Duesenberg original feature? :LOL:

Ah yes - it happened in the 1937 Indy 500 - was running third on lap eighty-four came out of turn four high - got in the marbles and broke traction - the engine free-reved and kicked a rod - oiled the tires and kissed the wall shearing off the rear wheel. Ended my day.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it...

That is gonna be one sweet car when done. I don't mind fabbing up a few small things on a project, but your ENTIRE project is all fabricated......very cool.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":kwincipl said:
Progress to date:
sr012.jpg

Love this 3x1 manifold you fabed up from three stockers... 3 Autolite 1100's at 157cfm each makes for a nice 471cfm total.

All I can say is when it's finished park it down at some local cruise night with the hood open, station a woman next to it to keep an eye on it, have her pretend to know nothing about the car except "it's really old, I think," and stand back a ways to watch the fun.

:)

Lazy JW":vetwzp68 said:
ludwig":vetwzp68 said:
Yeah, but when he gets it done it will be a doozy.

I presume you know from whom that term came?
Joe

William Claude Dukenfield, AKA W.C. Fields, owned a Duesenberg (maybe more than one, I dunno) of which he was quite proud. He referred to it has his "Doozy", and the term came to be used meaning something really spectacular.

And now you know part of the story :LOL:
Joe

Lazy JW":1khwwqoy said:
Lazy JW":1khwwqoy said:
ludwig":1khwwqoy said:
Yeah, but when he gets it done it will be a doozy.

I presume you know from whom that term came?
Joe

William Claude Dukenfield, AKA W.C. Fields, owned a Duesenberg (maybe more than one, I dunno) of which he was quite proud. He referred to it has his "Doozy", and the term came to be used meaning something really spectacular.

And now you know part of the story :LOL:
Joe

I'm going to have to beg to differ here. A quick search reveals another origin of the word. (keep in mind, I believe the net is ALWAYS right and never lies)

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-doo2.htm
http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/doozy

Seems it may have morphed from the word daisy. huh.

Any man who hates small dogs and children can't be all wrong. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :LOL:
Joe

I subscribe to that guy's newsletter and he is authoritative. On the other hand, there is no reason to believe that the same SOUNDING word cannot be generated in two different places and at different times from a different source and yet they mean something similar. (Linguists call this polygenesis.) In this instance we used to have the Champagne of bottle beers, and something was the Cadillac of reclining chairs (and some times I took my dog out to make a Beemer).

Anyway, American usage traces doozy directly to the Duesenberg. And as I said that in my own cute way because how many times does somebody in 2006 get to say, much less write for all to see, "That is a doozy," AND IT REALLY IS!!!!!!

Ahhh yes. WC Fields: "Somebody put orange juice in my orange juice."

This project must now be the most "art deco" 300 so far ! I'm sure FTF knows there are alternators which look like ole' 6-volt but are 12-volt AC internally....just crossed my mind, in respect to achieving the "looks"

BR / M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back