New owner needs some help ID'ing the motor

A

Anonymous

Hi all. I'm the proud new owner of a gorgeous '63 Futura Convertible with an I6 (obvious, that's why I'm here!). The previous owner isn't sure which motor it is. From what I've read, it's either the 144, 170, or 200 and I've seen the notes about the freeze plugs. Is there any other obvious factors that will give away which block this is (other than the casting numbers)? Where on the block will the casting numbers be found?

I'm going to be looking to do some performance upgrades (who isn't right?), so plan on seeing a lot of me!

Bryce
South Florida

FL.jpg

ENGINE.jpg

WELCOME
NICE CAR.. CONGRADULATION :shock:

It looks like a 200. just by the tall valve cover.. But I realy don't know.. I just picked up a 200 and the valve cover is tall like yours.. Don't know if its just a ford thing.. my 170 had a chrome one on it when I got it so I'm not sure
tim

it certainly looks smaller than my 250 (although with that tall valve cover i'd say it'd be about the same :LOL: ) it could be a 200.

170ci they didn't make 200 until '64 and some of those were 4 mains.

The motor's had some work (I don't mean the paint), as evidenced by the breather tube plug; possibly it's been exchanged. The "smoothness" of the block side shown suggests a 170, but we'd need to see some other details for confirmation.

Anyway, nice car! Welcome to the Forum.

Regards, Adam.

I would love for it to be a 200. I know that they weren't out until 64 but I've heard it was a comon swap.

Where do I look for the casting numbers?

i'm no exspert on the line6's but i'm running a 200 under my hood and that looks a little smaller, so my guess is a 170 but i could be wrong 8) sweet looking car though

Nice car!

Easy way to check is to look on the block behind the exhaust manifold. 5 freeze plugs meens a 200 and 3 freeze plugs meens a 170 :D :D

Later,

Doug

Doug's given you the easiest way to tell a 200 from a 144/170. As to physical "size" of the engine, with the exception of the 250, there is no difference between the 144/170/200. The deck height for those three is the same - 7.808" while the 250 was stretched to 9.469". A 144/170/200 can't be "bigger" or "smaller" than any other in that group.

Bryce - Saw your post at TFFN too, but from a performance improvement standpoint, I suggest the first thing you do is get a copy of David & Dennis Schjeldahl's book, "The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook". It will be the best $14.95 you spend on your car! Order from here: http://falconperformance.sundog.net/

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the forums! 8)

Bryce, looking at the picture you've provided, I'd say that you've got a '65-67 170 or 200. The earlier motors didn't have the 2 threaded holes on either side of the draft tube hole (no place to put then either. The '68 & later blocks don't even have the draft tube hole, though the boss is still there.
Edwin

THAT's what I was looking for!! Some nit pickie thing that gives it away! Anything else in the photo that's says wat it is?

I CAN :shock: wait to count the freeze plugs when it arrives, but I'm ANXIOUS to know!

63DropTop":3smhqc4i said:
THAT's what I was looking for!! Some nit pickie thing that gives it away! Anything else in the photo that's says wat it is?

I CAN :shock: wait to count the freeze plugs when it arrives, but I'm ANXIOUS to know!
63DropTop, Looks like 63redtudor nailed it. One more bit of information for you, when you check the freeze plugs, I'd put money on three not five, the next question will be is it a 170 or a 144? Look at the flat spot just above the road draft tube. Clean the flat spot with a wire brush, you'll see a set of 4 to 6 numbers this is an inspection stamp. There will also be an "N" or n "T" either cast or stamped in this area separate from the other numbers & letters, this is the engine ID. If it's an "N" it's a 140, if it's a "T" it's a 170.
Welcome to the forum, good to see someone else with good taste in cars!

Back