All Small Six 1965 200, exposed tube on the manifold side of the engine

This relates to all small sixes

Phins1372

My father and I have been working to get a 1965 fastback Mustang 200 CID, that has been in his garage for more than 40 years running.

I have a quick question that I can't seem to find an answer anywhere or in any diagrams/manuals.

On the manifold side of the engine, underneath the manifold, there is a metal tube that comes out from the block. On our car the tube is exposed with nothing capping, or connecting to it.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it just a vent? Should it be connected to something or capped?

I'm attaching a picture. If anyone knows the answer, we would both be vary grateful to learn.

Thank You!

Attachments

• image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 15
Looks like what's left of the bottom half of the choke hot air tube. Clean air from inside the air cleaner travels down that tube and passes up through the exhaust manifold to be heated and then on to the choke to warm it up and disengage it as the engine warms. A '65 normally has a simpler system without the clean air supply part, just the upper tube to the choke, it draws in engine compartment air from under the exhaust manifold. You may have a newer engine or maybe just the head, as I think the two-tube system came later.

Looks like what's left of the bottom half of the choke hot air tube. Clean air from inside the air cleaner travels down that tube and passes up through the exhaust manifold to be heated and then on to the choke to warm it up and disengage it as the engine warms. A '65 normally has a simpler system without the clean air supply part, just the upper tube to the choke, it draws in engine compartment air from under the exhaust manifold. You may have a newer engine or maybe just the head, as I think the two-tube system came later.
I had no idea, that would explain what I can't find it on any '65 diagrams.

Thanks!

Hi Phins1372, that's a home made repair of the Hot Air Stove Pipe for the Carbs Auto Choke using a Brake Line nothing wrong with it being like that and it should remain open on that end. However if you wanted to shorten it so that its's just under the Exhaust Manifold that would also be ok and it will still function correctly in providing Hot Air into the Auto Choke Cover on the Carb. It should have an insulated cover like the OEM Hot Air Stove Pipe's had though for the best operation in colder weather (see below link for an example). Good luck

Hot Air Stove Kit

Hi Phins1372, that's a home made repair of the Hot Air Stove Pipe for the Carbs Auto Choke using a Brake Line nothing wrong with it being like that and it should remain open on that end. However if you wanted to shorten it so that its's just under the Exhaust Manifold that would also be ok and it will still function correctly in providing Hot Air into the Auto Choke Cover on the Carb. It should have an insulated cover like the OEM Hot Air Stove Pipe's had though for the best operation in colder weather (see below link for an example). Good luck

Hot Air Stove Kit
Thanks! Greatly appreciated!

Back