All Small Six 1968 Mustang 200 water pump leak

This relates to all small sixes
Hello all
I'm in the process of restoring a 68 Plain Jane Mustang with 200 engine and auto trans. I'm new to six cylinder engines; my previous 5 Mustangs were V8, so I'm not very proficient...yet. After firing up the newly rebuilt engine, I noticed a slow drip of coolant at the bolt directly below the weep hole on the water pump. I tightened all the pump bolts slightly, still a drip. I removed the pump and reinstalled with a new gasket, sealant and applied thread sealant to the bolts and it still has a slow drip. It seems like this one bolt is a through-bolt into the block and may need a double dose of sealant? I suspect this because when I went to remove the pump to reseal, coolant flowed profusely out of this bolt hole. It's not leaking at the weep hole and its not leaking around the gasket mating surfaces. Have any of you folks run into this issue? My machine shop has offered to provide a replacement water pump, but my gut feeling is that it's a sealing issue. The pump circulates water fine. I've attached a pic of the pump looking up from underneath car...you can see a drip of coolant on the bolt with missing paint. Any recommendations on a good thread and gasket sealant would be helpful as well. The shop manual doesn't specify anything special about water pump replacement and I've searched the internet for this issue to no avail. Thanx for your help, Dave.

Attachments

• 200 water pump.jpg
    200 water pump.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 23
Welcome aboard Dave, I would get a new bolt & make sure the length is correct, cause the open threaded hole in the block is only 1/4" thick.
I would drain some coolant so the bolt hole in the block can be sprayed to remove the coolant & let it dry.
You could use teflon tape wrapped around the bolt where it goes into the block.
Another option would be RTV sealant on the bolt threads & let it dry for 24 hrs. before installing more coolant.
Lets hope the block is not cracked at the bolt hole. Bill billythedistributorman@live.com

Back