1983 merc zephyr

A

Anonymous

Glad i found a forum , look like alot of knowledge here ! i view all 70 pages of post, and never seen this topic, suprizzed me
I would like to know what 2 barrel carb will bolt right up to my 3.3 l 200 cid intake, Need a little more umph to get over the mountains in Oregon. The ol 1 barrel just dont get it.
thx people

8)

Are you willing to pull the head to have it machined to mount a Holley 2300 series adapter plate?

If not then you can get a carb adapter and mount a Holley 5200 series 2bbl or a Carter YF series 1bbl.

Your stock carb should be a Holley 1946 series rated at about 195cfm.

The Carter YF off a 300 I6 pickup should be about 250cfm.

You would have to do a search to see what year 300 I6 carb to use.

Someone will probably also recommend setting timing at about 10-12deg BTDC.

Thx for the prompt REPLY.

Not able to pull the head off at this time.

You mention this
If not then you can get a carb adapter and mount a Holley 5200 series 2bbl or a Carter YF series 1bbl.

Your stock carb should be a Holley 1946 series rated at about 195cfm.

The Carter YF off a 300 I6 pickup should be about 250cfm.

My question is what carb adapter am I looking for and from whom to mount a holley 5200 series 2 bbl.

Wow thats some great info. So now as I sit and ponder the 2 mentioned
ADAPTERS for the holley 5200 series 2 bbl. What adapter if any if I so choose to try the Carter YF 1 bbl ? of a donor 300 I 6 pickup, Which would be a small gain of appx 55 CFM.

Thanks KEEP THE GREAT INFO COMMING MY WAY !

UPDATE
I was just out looking at my carb and discovered this tin plate, Stamped on it reads Motorcraft E2BE CA 2D30
What is this tag trying to tell me ?

You may have other problem areas you need to look at besides just jumping in with a carb replacement......

Do you still have the cat converter style exhaust manifold?? (big coffee can looking thing) your cat material inside may be melted and the outlet plugged, everyone I have pulled apart has had that happen to it.

Is it easy to break the honeycomb cat material out of the header pipe? I know I wanted to bypass the whole thing with a 78' manifold but if I can knock out all of the junk that would do just fine.

And I saw you post on ford fox about the C5 trans going bad. Those were only used in later 80's fairmonts/zephyrs and bronco II's. Since you have an 83' block with the starter in the right spot any V8 C4 or AOD should bolt up.

Linc's 200":385i6dpj said:
You may have other problem areas you need to look at besides just jumping in with a carb replacement......

Do you still have the cat converter style exhaust manifold?? (big coffee can looking thing) your cat material inside may be melted and the outlet plugged, everyone I have pulled apart has had that happen to it.

Not quite sure what ya mean by cat convertor style exhaust mani
nope no coffee can looking thing here. " and it is all stock" perhaps the style you are speaking of is latter or newer ?
cause this sure dont have it on my 83.

And I saw you post on ford fox about the C5 trans going bad. Those were only used in later 80's fairmonts/zephyrs and bronco II's. Since you have an 83' block with the starter in the right spot any Vee-Eight C4 or AOD should bolt up.

Thx, got the c-4 all ligned up ready to go in first thing Sunday morn, hope I am forgiven by missing Worship.

Sorry about that I do have that coffee can looking thing, How do I do away without it, or clean the melted material out of it ?
If I indeed like you mention find the contents melted.

Thx so much

zephyrjoe

8)

That silver tag on the carb is what you take into the autoparts store to get a carb rebuild kit. It has all the numbers the parts guy needs to get yout he right carb kit.

C-4 is in a never worked so great, YEE HAW
smooth and Easy tranny to change out.

zephyrjoe":id249e49 said:
How do I do away without it, or clean the melted material out of it ?

Four studs/nuts hold it to the manifold. Pull it off and clean it out, very basic operation.

Wow, all the contents in the coffee can looking thing was totally melted and in chunks, all has been removed and the secondary cat convertor was also all melted, removed the cat and running great.
thx for all the replies.
You guys are AWESOME.

zephyrjoe":o30du3oa said:
Wow, all the contents in the coffee can looking thing was totally melted and in chunks,

Yeah, I figured as much - - -
I have never taken one apart that was still good.

Once that pre-cat has melted into junk does it still affect the quality of the air coming out of the exhaust? I'd like to clear mine out but I still need to pass emmisions, I figure the second cat under the car should get me by.

I would clean out any cat that is plugged. Robs power, hurts mileage.

If you clean out the big "pre-heat" cat,
and then install a new $59 cat under the car, you should pass.

Is it really necessary to replace the cat conv, under the car, or is it only needed to pass smog test. Where I live we dont have testing,. Is it needed for back-pressure, all my smog stuff is gone, with the exception of the cat conver. Seems like I read some where that these 200-6's need that back pressure? true or not

Back