200 i6 to 5.0 engine

addo":389vlaa1 said:
Whether six or eight, you're nearly all falling into the mindset of "buying stuff and bolting it on".

This website primarily took off when it was a practice to modify sixes with a decent quota of DIY. Now there is a creeping (unspoken, but inferred) opinion that all except CHI/DUI/ARP etc is second rate...

Supply quantity will ensure that V-8 stuff remains cheaper forever. That's just the way it is. If one embraces the original idea of hotrodding, and is willing to get their hands a bit greasy, there are plenty of fun and affordable options in both camps.

Cheers, Adam.

WAY back when this forum was part of the clifford forums... haha

It is nice that people like Mike are making lots of bolt on performance upgrades for us possible, however there are still plenty of us who are of the old tradition.

I've got about 200$ into my turbo setup, and about 1000$ into turning a roller into a running car. (Motor, Head, T5, etc) I even rebuilt my own head.

And I am using Grade 8 bolts from the hardware store for my head bolts, a DSII with GM HEI, and all sorts of other "budget" parts.

I would be willing to get that when I finally get it all put back together (hopefully this week or next) It will be quite a bit faster than most on this forum, and quite a few V8's as well.

It just wouldn't be as fun with a V8.

61Futura":1ddk9ver said:
Sorry about not meeting up with you this summer.
Don't give it a second thought, I haven't been to GF since February, and I really wanted to catch one of those Thursday 'drive-in' car shows.
I still have that 250 from a 69 Mustang taking up space in my garage. Are you still interested.
Yes I am
It has the head removed & disassembled, but I won't be using the "M" head because the chambers are way too big for either my 170 or 200. I have the original carb for it also.
Is there anything you are looking for to put on your 170 or 200? My Dad has 1 block and 1 complete motor gathering dust in his barn, and there is a guy who owns a machine shop here in Fargo that has a stockpile of 144/170 parts.
I just can't seem to get around to getting anything done to the Falcon anymore. I guess when it isn't broke, I don't get around to fixing it.
Sounds fairly normal for any vehicle. Right now my '68 Mustang is incapacitated in the shop with a blow powersteering hose, but I won't be driving it anytime soon. When I get home tonight I'll check our calendar and get back to you tomorrow to see if we can line up a time to get together.

thanks for thinking of me,
-ron

To answer CoupeBoys question, the v-8 steering conversion cost the following:

roller idler arm: $160
Mustang idler arm bracket: $45
'65 Falcon centerlink: $150 (mustang ones are cheaper)
pitman arm: $65 (I think)
grab a trak inner tie rods: $50
grab a trak granada outer tie rods: $46
tubular adjusters: $80 (could use regular ones for like $20)

Shipping and handling from three different vendors: approx $75

Total is..tappety, tappety...$671!!! :shock: I shouldn't have done that math, now I'm depressed. That doesn't even include a new steering box or a rebuilt or new steering column. Clearly the new Dearborn Rack and pinion at $1,000 is a great deal.

Actually, if you want to do a v-8 conversion, start with a Mustang II front end. You get a better suspension, rack and pinion, big brakes, whatever motor moutns you want, a stiffer chassis, way more room in your engine compartment. All for under $3k. I'll surely have more in my front end by the time I'm done.

Oh yeah, and since we are counting beans, just let me say that my headwork, and I did all the porting and polishing myself, cost $1,000. Add to that new valves, new springs, new retainers and a center port divider and the new aluminum head is a really good deal. I mean my car is quicker (and I have the roller rockers...), but not that much quicker. So, you can easily expect to spend $2,000 on the head alone in a hipo six.

falcon fanatic":i0pc4maf said:
Total is..tappety, tappety...$671!!! :shock: I shouldn't have done that math, now I'm depressed. That doesn't even include a new steering box or a rebuilt or new steering column. Clearly the new Dearborn Rack and pinion at $1,000 is a great deal.
You know what though, if you are on a budget you could have easily spread those many small purchases out across a year. With the R&P it's a one shot deal.

-ron

I'm just finishing a swap. I have spent about $1,600 on brakes and suspension and another $400 on a parts car (which I'm getting ready to send off to the scrap yard - $100 back). If you do your homework, you can easily do it for less than $2k (plus the cost of the engine/tranny), I'm spending that much because I'm replacing everything in the brakes and suspension.

Back