All Small Six 200 upgrades for a 66 Pony Vert

This relates to all small sixes
Car is a 66 Mustang Convertible
200 - I6 motor with a C4
I need suggestions for boosting the performance of the 200 without breaking the bank. I would like to achieve close to 200 hp if possible.
Questions: Assuming the engine upgrades, will the original C4 withstand the boost in power as well as the differential?

Another question. If I were to upgrade to a 250 I6, where can I find motor mounts? What issues might I face with the tranny mounts, radiator & fan etc.

I have a wrecked 66 stang that is a 289 v8 car that could be a donor for this build. Would I be better off going the I6 to V8 swap route?

Thanks in advance,
Stan

If you need 200 hp or real close it may involve a turbo or the CI aluminum head (check availability).

miracles (big power, 'free") w/o a please.
Glad there's a smile in da pic~
1st post no less?
😱
C-4's good ta 500HP. 200/3.3 is more a race motor than 250/4.1.
"...get a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook..."
AND
This may answ ur last Q.

Last edited:
6-pot so much easier to work on, if a car is to be a 'user?' when compared to a V8? OK, here in the UK, V8's are seldom found as boat anchors, simply lying around in hedge bottoms. So I am a bit biased with having to make the 'best of what I have got?'
But [aside from the inlet manifold?] the Ford I-6 [or any I-6, for that matter] is a naturally smoother engine to drive with. As well as being lighter than the bigger V8s, which makes the car more pleasant to drive. Out & out bhp is fine if into gaining bragging rights. But I wouldn't like to put up with the out of sync noise from a V8, mile after mile after mile! An inline 6 is oh! so much more easy on the aging bodyparts.
Also, I pay the equivalent to $8.50 for a gallon of petrol, so being able to achieve 20-plus mpgs when making use of my'67 coupe [such a practical car really]....when compared to even the smallest of Ford V8's on carbs, is so much easier on my meagre pension!!

Hi, why not swap the V8 spindles and rear end, while upgrading to GT front springs, sway bar, etc, while thinking about a brake upgrade first.
Then plan a 200 engine build with a turbo. We have a performance section for that. So start saving up!
Good luck

Car is a 66 Mustang Convertible
200 - I6 motor with a C4
I need suggestions for boosting the performance of the 200 without breaking the bank. I would like to achieve close to 200 hp if possible.
Questions: Assuming the engine upgrades, will the original C4 withstand the boost in power as well as the differential?

Another question. If I were to upgrade to a 250 I6, where can I find motor mounts? What issues might I face with the tranny mounts, radiator & fan etc.

I have a wrecked 66 stang that is a 289 v8 car that could be a donor for this build. Would I be better off going the I6 to V8 swap route?

Thanks in advance,
Stan
I also have a 66 convertible, did the 250 swap and can offer a little input. I had to make my own engine mounts but the rest was pretty much a piece of cake. My car was originally a 6 cylinder car that someone had converted to a V8 before I bought it. Just before I did the 250 swap it had a 351 W and a T5. The 250 bolted right in to the transmission and no changes were needed to the transmission mount. I did have to buy a flywheel for it but that was just a Ford Motorsport zero-balance unit I got from Summit. The engine mounts involved a lot of experimentation to finally arrive at a solution (which I am not completely satisfied with). I think there are threads in this forum that might help you if you do a search. I've put a little information up on my web site - http://harcinske.users.mitchelltelecom.net/250-6.html.

"...engine mounts involved a lot of experimentation to finally arrive at a solution (which I am not completely satisfied with). I think there are threads..."
standard round here is a 250 w/the Late Mav mounts (actually a tower/mount combo, hasa rivet in middle) due to typical 60s/70s low hood ford
/or/
as above:

Hi Stan and a big welcome to the Ford Six site. A 200 six can be built on a budget for sure but how much is your budget going to be? This will effect the parts list recommendations. X3 A 250 six is an excellent choice it's also my preference to use, and performance build cost is very close to the same as a good 200 built because it will use many of the same parts. They also will be able to give you that kind of power easier and with much better torque output to, it would feel as good or in same cases even better than driving any stock 210 Hp factory rated 289 or 302 V8. However if your 289 is already a good runner than that is probably going to be your least expensive solution to just swap it in and X3 by all means swap all that V8 front suspension parts and rear axle parts right in its a good upgrade made even better by you all ready having all the parts available but those same suspension parts are also the hot ticket and in my OPIN is a needed for a good 250 six swap too. Best of luck

standard round here is a 250 w/the Late Mav mounts (actually a tower/mount combo, hasa rivet in middle) due to typical 60s/70s low hood for
Not trying to be a jerk but I looked for close to a year and only found the isolators that go between the piece that attaches to the engine and the piece that attaches to the frame. The parts that attach to the frame and the parts that attach to the engine seem to be exceptionally scarce. No one I've found makes any aftermarket parts for this purpose either. That's why I ended up kluging something together using the stock 200 parts. Your results may vary :)

Last edited:
my add is only available for those who can show a pic.
It would take too long for these arthritic hands to type out a description.
There's plenty available. Its just that one must B very specific (w/o pic) & Y I use
the frame/"tower" & "mount"/engine nomenclature. Things begin to go awry (min 4 locations/pieces)
w/o that. Custom is fairly easy but must B remade w/every mod. I like the oe as it is easily sourced, can
B discussed w/others, common, and takes me much less time/labor to get going.
Lots of stuff for the bronk/stang. The typical vendors have this 'odd ball' stuff (even more often than the OE).

my add is only available for those who can show a pic.
It would take too long for these arthritic hands to type out a description.
There's plenty available.
Well maybe it's just my old brain that's whacked but this makes almost no sense at all to me and isn't very helpful either. It would have helped to have listed specific sources and, if not descriptions, at least model years and model (e.g., 1974 Maverick/Comet). Doing searches here and looking through all of the 200 or so threads that came up was not helpful.

I wonder - is this what you're trying to say?

Attachments

• Mounts.jpg
    Mounts.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 11
Stan asks something as OP & now John asks...
back later, not enuff info in last post. Will have to re-read the whole thread, sorry.

Stan is OP, john asks another Q...
back later, not enuff info in last post. Will have to re-read the whole thread, sorry.

Back