200ci Oil Pan Gasket Choices

67-Conv-200

Hi,

New user here. In the near future I need to replace the oil pan gasket on my 67 200ci mustang. I have done this before and the shop gave me a Fel-Pro OS12701C gasket set. The cork on this gasket fits correctly, but the front and back rubber seals do not look like the old ones. The difference is that the groves that fit onto the oil pan's groves are on the wrong side (face up toward the engine instead of fitting onto the oil pan's groves). If I reverse the new seal and put the groves onto the oil pan, then end tabs do not sit onto the cork correctly. I have taken a few pictures to show this, and added some old ones that I found on another forum.

Old Seals
Old_Seals.jpg

New Seals
New_Seals.jpg

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a different gasket I should be using or am I doing something wrong?

:unsure: Those gaskets are very good ones.

With the front timing cover and rear main cap installed first. You than install the cork side rails first the end seals go over the top there are little recessed area that the tabs fit into and the the tails tuck into groves next to rear main cap and the timing cover. I glue down the cork to block with some RTV or non hardening Permatex I put a small dab of RTV in the corners before install of end seals. When you install the oil pan start the four corner first and than all your other pan bolts than snug up the four end bolt (larger ones at corners) than tighten others working fro center out. Don't over tighten the bolts it will just push out or crush the cork gasket and have oil leaks. Good luck :nod: (y)

Thank you for the response. What about the differences in the groves that are the length of the two seals? On the old set, they are on the outside (oil pan side), and on the new set they are on the inside (timing cover / rear main cap side).

Are you talking about that picture showing the seal setting in the rear of the block (with crank removed) this is under the rear main cap. If your block is disassembled that far your not ready for the pan set. This is a rear main seal and if your replacing that too (good idea if its old) than you will need to buy that seal also it's sold separate unless you bought a full gasket set. The oil pan set goes on last, main bearing and lower seal than crank is in block than rear main and all main caps installed pistons & rods etc front timing cover in other words your complete short block or long block is assembled except for tin. After that you would be ready for the oil pan gasket set and pan. :nod:

That is one of the picture's I found searching my problem. My pictures are the ones with the wood background and only one of the old seals came out clear enough to see. My car is in running condition, but the oil pan seal leaked. I bought the oil pan gasket kit and when I went to install it, saw that the full length grooves (not the part that fits into the cork) were on the wrong side. I used the old seals so I can still drive the car, but of course it still leaks out of the seals. I am just looking for a solution so I am ready for when I attempt it again.

I have circled the areas that I am talking about in these pictures:

Old Seal - Notice the outside has the groves that fit into the groves of the oil pan
oldsealcircle.jpg

New Seal - Notice that the outside is smooth. This did not fit right into the groves of the oil pan.
newsealcircle.jpg

Ok the picture made it look as though it was a part. (y)

:unsure: OS12701C is the correct oil pan set for a 67 200. I have used that very type gasket set on numerous engines with out a problem so the end seals will work Fel Pro is my preferred brand of gaskets because they work so well. You can't really compare them directly with the old gaskets if they are OEM they will be different and they also take on a set shape with age and assembly. Using old seal with new pan rails will not work so you need to install the new ones they will work. Did you notice if your pan is bent? Rails need to be flat they can be distorted from over tightening. :nod: Good luck

Thanks, every place I checked said OS12701C is the correct gasket as well. The groves on the old seal looked like they were manufactured that way which is why I chose to use them over the new ones as they fit better.

The rails looked flat on my pan and I cleaned them up very well before putting it back on. It just seemed strange that the groves would face upward toward the timing cover / rear main cap instead of fitting into groves of the oil pan. I checked new oil pans and they also show the groves so I don't think it is just mine. When get the time again I will give it a go with the new seals. I figured I will try one more time and if it leaks, I'll take it somewhere to get done.

:unsure: Yeah those old end seals were never manufactured that way. When new they have no grove on the top. The groves got there by being installed and clamped into place by the 4 corner bolts along with the heat cycles of the engine and over time. :nod: Or Install Pressure + Heat & Cool + Time.

I chose to use them over the new ones as they fit better.

Not being there can't say if they fit better or not. However if the pan is not sitting up high enough as you tighten the four corners that it puts some pressure on the end seal and I grantee that it will leak as the car takes off from a stop when the oil moves up the rear of the oil pan. It's going to come out between the oil pan and the end seal. Do you have oil running down the back end of the pan and dripping off the sump?

bubba22349":1cfaaoao said:
Do you have oil running down the back end of the pan and dripping off the sump?

Right now I have oil dripping at the both of those seals. Down the sump in the back is worse than the front near the timing gear. I'll try again with a new gasket set at my next oil change interval.

OK I think that's for sure what wrong with it. I added some more to original posting that might help doing it in the car. Best of luck with it. :nod:

As an update, oil pan gasket set Fel-Pro OS12701C is the right gasket. My mistake was that the rear oil pan seal was not seated correctly.

Back