All Small Six 66 Mustang 200 C4 to T-5

This relates to all small sixes
I have a ‘66 200 block with a C4 behind it right now, but have a T-5 waiting in the wings to take over. Is there much of an advantage to using a 9” clutch vs. a 8 1/2”? I have a 63 bell housing and a flywheel for the 8 1/2” (Dog dish) that was used on the run stand for engine break in. But if the 9” is the preferred way to go, I’ll go that route instead. I’d like to use a hydraulic clutch also.

Attachments

• IMG_8124.png
    IMG_8124.png
    10.8 MB · Views: 7
9” gives you the option of running a diaphragm clutch vs a three finger. The dog dish flywheel needs to be resurfaced by someone that understands what they are doing. The outer edge needs to be ground down too so that you keep the same depth of the recess. Otherwise, you’ll lose useable clutch disc thickness.

the 9" does give the preferred options for improving drivability, vs using lighter clamping long frame smaller clutch setup.

'78 Fairmont applic' diaphragm
T5 will fit the Toploader type 9"clutch /FW - Bellhouse with a simple adapter.
'63 with '71 Maverick 170 Toploader BH and pedal linkage mod' to fit Toplader 9" TO arm setup. ;
. . . .
the Overdrive T5 adds a new degree of drivability to the torquey', anvil strong small block six and the cars built for driving in the middle of the last century ...
have fun

9” gives you the option of running a diaphragm clutch vs a three finger. The dog dish flywheel needs to be resurfaced by someone that understands what they are doing. The outer edge needs to be ground down too so that you keep the same depth of the recess. Otherwise, you’ll lose useable clutch disc thickness.
So 9” is definitely the route I want to go then! I keep reading differing opinions on which bell housing to use. I’m “pretty sure” 67-71 bell housings will work, with an adapter plate, but are there other years too or not?

Back