All Small Six Hydraulic valves or not? 🤷🏻‍♂️

This relates to all small sixes

DrDave

Hi all. About to adjust the valves on my ‘66 Bronco. The original 170 engine was replaced with a 200 I believe (5 expansion/freeze holes).

1. Do I know it’s a 200 because of the freeze holes?

2. Would this have hydraulic or solid lifters?

You can now tell I’m new to this stuff so any guidance would be greatly appreciated :))

DaveM

1. Yes, 144 and 170 only have 3 freeze plugs.

2. I would bet on hydraulic. Could be either or, Ford did use adjustable rockers with hydraulic lifters for a few years. I think they went hydraulic in '63. Not sure what year they stopped using adjustable rockers.

What's the numbers on the block? On the exhaust side, that will indicate the year of your block.

Last edited:
1. Yes, 144 and 170 only have 3 freeze plugs.

2. I would bet on hydraulic. Could be either or, Ford did use adjustable rockers with hydraulic lifters for a few years. I think they went all hydraulic after '63. Not sure what year they stopped using adjustable rockers.

What's the numbers on the block? On the exhaust side, that will indicate the year of your block.
Thx. I’ll get block numbers and check back. :)

1. Yes, 144 and 170 only have 3 freeze plugs. 2. I would bet on hydraulic. Could be either or, Ford did use adjustable rockers with hydraulic lifters for a few years. I think they went hydraulic in '63. Not sure what year they stopped using adjustable rockers. What's the numbers on the block? On the exhaust side, that will indicate the year of your block.
1. Yes, 144 and 170 only have 3 freeze plugs. 2. I would bet on hydraulic. Could be either or, Ford did use adjustable rockers with hydraulic lifters for a few years. I think they went hydraulic in '63. Not sure what year they stopped using adjustable rockers. What's the numbers on the block? On the exhaust side, that will indicate the year of your block.

Hi, why are you going to adjust the lifters? From the factory the hydraulic lifters are not adjustable. Are you having any issues? Good luck

From the factory the hydraulic lifters are not adjustable.
My '63 170 and my '65 200 both have adjustable over hydraulic from factory. '63 Ford Falcon shop manual supplement shows adjustment process for adjustable rockers over hydraulic lifters. Image clipped from shop manual.

Clearance measured between the valve stem tip and the rocker, with the lifter collapsed, 0.067"- 0.200". I don't think a solid lifter engine would run with that gap.

Attachments

• 63_lifter_adjustment.jpg
    63_lifter_adjustment.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I seem to recall that the 170 for the Bronco had hydraulic lifters while the 66 170 passenger cars did not. When the 200 became standard it may have been hydraulic, not sure. Usually 170 Bronco engines were replaced with a 200 from a passenger car like mine. The block numbers should reveal if your 200 came from a passenger car or Bronco.

I seem to recall that the 170 for the Bronco had hydraulic lifters while the 66 170 passenger cars did not. When the 200 became standard it may have been hydraulic, not sure. Usually 170 Bronco engines were replaced with a 200 from a passenger car like mine. The block numbers should reveal if your 200 came from a passenger car or Bronco.
Yes, the engine is from a 1966 Falcon so supposedly hydraulic valves and seven bot main.

Just pulled the cover on a '69 200 I recently acquired, non-adjustable rockers. My '65 200 is out of a Mustang. Got the '69 block to be able to swap over to the 9" clutch. '65 block is single pattern 8-1/2".

There is a cross over year in between where they most likely were clearing out what was left of the adjustable rocker stock at Ford when swapping over to non-adjustable.

Back