66 mustang 6cyl 200 1100 carb question

ok got my head gasket, and push rod along with a valve cover gasket.

I declined the valve cover gasket as it was cork, the one I pulled off when I redid the engine 30 yrs ago, was rubber.

so hunted down a rubber one, found it at Rock auto, for $3, yep three bucks, so I bought 3 :)

had everything neat and clean gasket on head on with my custom bolts from 30 yrs ago to line up the head when I put it on.

proceeded to torque down the bolts in order in the gradual torque process we are all familiar with. Unfortunatly stupid me set the torq wrench at 105 ft lbs instead of the 75 it calls for. and what did I do? yep snapped a head bolt. CURSES! and other stuff....

pulled it off knowing this was just going to be ugly... well the bolt was 1/8 inch above the plane of the engine. I could get a wrench on it, I turned it a 1/4 turn ,then took the wrench off and literally unscrewed a half inch worth of bolt with my fingers! Luckiest I've been in a long time!

So, looked back at my notes and my tools and realized what I did. OUCH, a slap in the face by me to me. So, I ordered a new set of head bolts. All 14 of them, they'll be here Thursday.

in the mean time. I decided to paint stuff...

this is just placed over the head, nothing is bolted down.

pnOOCAI.jpg

yup, some of us say "the one use hb's have gone beyond their tq rating, never use more than once." I've used a time er 3. They seem pretty expensive, no? (Not when they snap off below a surface, eh)?

30 yrs between is pretty good, how many mi was that?

30 yrs between is pretty good, how many mi was that?
so gets a rebuild every 2.25Kmi wheather it needs it or not, eh?
57 y/o = that 1st chunka mi went in quicker than the 2nd.
I bet the 3rd 2.25K mi will B an even longer time ~
8^ 0

so this never gets tiring....

looked and found a set of head bolts from Summit Racing, Ordered them, they said they would deliver them in 2 days, via UPS. Ok, fine, I'll buy that, as UPS never has any problems delivering to me.

I get emails, order processed, order shipped, order attempted delivery... (now it gets interesting) since you weren't home, (I was home, I live on a dead end road, we know if anyone comes down the road, esp the brown truck guys) we are leaving your package at a ups pick up point and you can go get it. HAHAHA ! a HARD NO. I call Summit Racing, they say yes you can go get it, I say "I contracted and paid for you to deliver it to my house, not for me to go get it" She says, there is a number you can call them and have them deliver it again to you, I tell her it's a UPS store they don't deliver anything to anybody. Then she says " they will likely hold it for two weeks then send back to us and we will then ship it to you." I ask if this is going to cost me anything, and what if they 'can't' deliver it to me again, will it sit at the UPS store for two more weeks before they send it to you and will this circle continue? She says it won't cost anything and yes it likely will. I say "oh ok, thanks"

I don't care how many times they ship it back and forth to themselves I'm not paying for that. I also called the USP store and told them to ship the package back to the seller, I explained and he laughed and said "no problem"

In the mean time I found another set of head bolts and they will arrive tomorrow.

Summit Racing can jump off a cliff for all I care.

Last edited:
Summitt:
"Day ben berry, berry goot me."
Better than the really big guys (amizone, etc).
It's all ways the last 500 ft that are the problem, no?
Enjoy the ride, let us know how it duz (esp MPGs).

I contracted with Summit to have the product delivered to me at my house. (nothing unusual) Email sent to me confirming delivery to "my address" not to a "pick up point".

Summit should have made proper arrangements for the product to be delivered. They did not, as a result they expect me to 'go and get it'. Sorry, not what was agreed too.

Now, if I had agreed to have the product delivered part way and me go the rest of the way and pick it up, well then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

In the mean time! Car is running good! Looking forward to driving it again and of course the more I look the more I want to fix.... :)

If anyone is further interested in my Summit story feel free to PM me, I'll not talk more about it here.

I've run into the same problem with UPS in the past. They provide some vague reason for not delivering a package, and then expect me to spend an hour round trip going to pick it up. I blame UPS, however.

Last edited:
multiple contractors behind the scene (of our eyes/knowledge)
their agreements, their abilities, standard operation procedures v optimal, and so on...
PLUS the peculiarities of address (has the deliverer been to the address B4?, urban, rural, business, residence...

Like a vehicle, a system'n not as liner as the eye sez, 'just get it to me now!'

Back