All Small Six Auto lite Frankenstein

This relates to all small sixes

adobejoe

So I had my 200 six engine running and it was leaking gas out the accelerator pump, and possibly the throttle shaft. i have a box of two other auto lite carburetors. When I disassembled the carb that was on the car I noticed it had the top half of one of the others. It appears two are the smaller throat, and the one I want to use is larger. I have reviewed mikes carburetors and am going to order the bushings and a few other parts. There are a few minor differences between the top halves. Mainly the needle is longer on the larger carburetor and the horn in the center is supported

Attachments

• 0A1A2C6B-B31F-411A-B434-0CCA68895681.jpeg
    0A1A2C6B-B31F-411A-B434-0CCA68895681.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 39DEED85-1322-401F-89F5-158AA8426AC0.jpeg
    39DEED85-1322-401F-89F5-158AA8426AC0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I am wondering about the spark control valve. They appear slightly different onthe three models. I amusing an early load a mattic distributer there is a steel vacuum advance line. Which to spark module to use?

Yea, my long time 1100 finally quit responding to rebuilds a few years ago. I couldn't find a replacement that ran right. I finally wound up combining two bad eBay carbs and some misc. pieces I had laying around to get one good one.

I've seen minor cover design differences between various SCVs in rebuild kits over the years. I'm not sure if there are actual performance differences with them.

"...Which to spark module to use?..."
inspect as to best condition. I dont think it matters "which".

So I am nearly done the rebuild on this carb, Autolite 1101. I rebushed the throttle shaft which was a bit of a chore, and have cleaned things up pretty well. I have looked closely at mikes carb site and he mainly covers the 1100. I am a bit nervous as this model carb uses the “long” needle valve and there is to brass screw in seat. Seems there have been issues with needles sticking open or closed in the past. Tested my float and no leaks. But I am a little unclear on what setting to use for float closing. The smaller carbs seem to use 13/16 or close to one inch. I am thinking this should be a little more 1 1/4 in maybe? I cleaned up the needle and used a little silicon oil on the three long edges, and tip. Hopefully that eliminates sticking
the main jet shows 069 but I have some smaller size jets from the other two carbs. Guess I can just use this and check the plugs after running a bit. I am at 5,000 ft elevation. For a 200 six maybe smaller opening?

no sealer or thread lock anywhere on the carb….a mistake I have made in the past!

Attachments

• D0E518B8-42C1-48EC-B01F-A53AF3AD26A0.jpeg
    D0E518B8-42C1-48EC-B01F-A53AF3AD26A0.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • 552B5D6B-FAD6-4514-99D3-A682DB174AC4.jpeg
    552B5D6B-FAD6-4514-99D3-A682DB174AC4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
some here may know, let's C.
Ive spoken to Mike ('15?) who was very giving
in info/spirit. A try there... no info on-line or our search?

So I am nearly done the rebuild on this carb, Autolite 1101. Irebushed the throttle shaft which was a bit of a chore, and have cleaned things up pretty well. I have looked closely at mikes carb site and he mainly covers the 1100. I am a bit nervous as this model carb uses the “long” needle valve and there is to brass screw in seat. Seems there have been issues with needles sticking open or closed in the past. Tested my float and no leaks. But I am a little unclear on what setting to use for float closing. The smaller carbs seem to use 13/16 or close to one inch. I am thinking this should be a little more 1 1/4 in maybe? I cleaned up the needle and used a little silicon oil on the three long edges, and tip. Hopefully that eliminates sticking
the main jet shows 069 but I have some smaller size jets from the other two carbs. Guess I can just use this and check the plugs after running a bit. I am at 5,000 ft elevation. For a 200 six maybe smaller opening?

no sealer or thread lock anywhere on the carb….a mistake I have made in the past!
If you set the float so the fuel is shallower in the bowl, the richer jet may be right. Lower fuel levels require a longer accelerator pump-shot and sometimes a richer jet.

So I am nearly done the rebuild on this carb, Autolite 1101. I rebushed the throttle shaft which was a bit of a chore, and have cleaned things up pretty well. I have looked closely at mikes carb site and he mainly covers the 1100. I am a bit nervous as this model carb uses the “long” needle valve and there is to brass screw in seat. Seems there have been issues with needles sticking open or closed in the past. Tested my float and no leaks. But I am a little unclear on what setting to use for float closing. The smaller carbs seem to use 13/16 or close to one inch. I am thinking this should be a little more 1 1/4 in maybe? I cleaned up the needle and used a little silicon oil on the three long edges, and tip. Hopefully that eliminates sticking

You should be able to still get an Autolite Carb Kit for your 1101 which will have the correct Float setting for its application as well as its other Setting Spec's then you don't have to guess might save you a considerable amount of time having to open it up again too. I doubt that a 1 1/4 inch float setting will be right, you really need to know for certain as it can have a big effect on the Carb works. I don't have the 1101 info for you, you might see if Mikes Carbs will tell you or else search for the Carb rebuild Sheet for the 1101 sometimes they can be found on line. What was it set at when you took it apart? If you cant find out then start at were it was. With you being at 5,000 Ft then the Base Timing needs to be set about 5 Degrees more Advanced than the stock setting. Also the Jet sizes will need to be about 2 Jets smaller than at sea level for the 1101 they said to be Jetted at the 62 to 66 depending on their application. I can help you with setting up the Auto Choke if it has one. Good luck.

Back