Autolite 2100 Comparison

CZLN6

2K+
VIP
Howdy all:

My brother, Dennis, and I have just spent the better part of this past week examining, tearing apart, tuning, and rebuilding Autolite 2100s. As a result, we have more questions and puzzles, and a few, great big Aw-Haas!

We focused on 1.08’s, 1.14s, & 1.21s. We need more 1.23’s & 1.33s to look at before we can make any generalities about them.

The test mule was Dennis’ “Hot6Tâ€￾ Falcon Ranchero. It has a flat-top ‘78 head modified with larger exhaust valves, Ported & polished, 9.7:1 compression, a 264 Clifford cam, dual outlet headers & DSII ignition with a hot coil. All through a T5 and a 7 1/4â€￾ 3.50:1 rearend. The vehicle weighed in at 2,760lbs. The measuring instrument was a G-Tech accelerometer. This was our first use of the G-Tech meter. It is very sensitive and took some trial and error to get consistency. We were measuring Max HP only. Once we determined reliable comparisons we did not move it or unplug it from power. We tried to find the most level part of back roads and averaged at least five runs, going in three directions to compensate for wind. A total of 33 runs were made with the only malady being a blown header gasket.

Dennis’ Ranchero has a well modified 200, using a modified flat-top log head so that the Autolite 2 barrels were all mounted directly- no adapter. A baseline was taken, followed by a good ignition and timing tune up. Base-lined again with no significant improvement. Ironically, the ignition tune-up made little difference in peak HP. It did start, drive and idle better.

The next test was to determine a baseline with the junkyard 1.08. The 1.08 gave good reliable performance and good mileage (21.8 mpg for 1,270 miles). It was not in bad shape at all. That was followed by mounting a rebuilt 1.21, jetted at #50. It marked an average of a 25% increase over the 1.08 in Max HP according to the G-Tech meter. A statistical comparison of the two carbs is:
Venturi CFM rating Throttle bore Main Jet Shifts
1.08 287 1.55â€￾ 49 5,000
1.21 351 1.68â€￾ 50 5,500

It was clear that a modified log head on a modified 200 can benefit from more CFM than we had previously thought. The 1.21 drove well, but has a high idle problem that we will try to solve this PM. It appears that the 1.21 will have a permanent home on the “Hot6Tâ€￾ 200- that is until we can find and try a 1.33 Autolite!

We also discovered inconsistencies in Throttle Bore (TB) sizes that are somewhat puzzling. A 1.08 had a larger TB, but with a smaller Venturi!!! We have another garage of carbs to measure, but it appears that 1.08s (‘68 - ‘73) could have a 1.42â€￾ or a 1.55â€￾ TB, 1.14s (‘64 -’67) have 1.42â€￾ TB and 1.21s could have 1.55â€￾ or 1.68â€￾ Throttle bores.

We had one 1.23 to measure and it had the 1.68â€￾ TB.

What next? We’ve ordered a 500 Holley 2300 from Summit for my 250. It will replace a 1.08 also. My 250 has similiar mods as Dennis’. More fun to come. Stay tuned.

This info and more will be in the next edition of the Handbook, which should be out by fall.

Adios, David

One test that I'd be interested in seeing would be to slip a divider between 1-2-3 and 4-5-6 in the log, essentially dividing the manifold. It would not need to be completly sealed off. In fact, some small airflow between the two sides at idle should be beneficial.

Theoretically, you should be able to run a larger carb and get improved throttle response with a broader torque curve.

Howdy Jack:

Thanks for the thought, Jack. The thing is quite crisp for this large a carb on a 200. Dennis headed home this AM. 1st tank turned in 30 MPG at 50 to 65 mph. It may be that the carb is jetted too lean for performance.

The divider would be similiar to creating a dual plane manifold. Hummmm!
We had thought of "Turtles" or diverters in the bottom of the log, but indications are that sucked air likes to follow a well rounded inside radius, and will only shear and tumble around a sharp right angle. As always there's more questions and more to do. I will add the divider to the list.

"Broader torque" is not something we can quantify with the G-Tech or stop watch. We really wanted to try to gain empirical evidence of the value, or lack of it, to changes.

The surprize was the large improvement in HP and driveability of this large of a carb. I guess everything else was in place to take advantage of it.

Thanks again.

Adios, David

Be sure to share what jet sizes, power valves & squirter sizes you find that run the best on the Holley!

I'm interested in what you find out!!! ;)

Later,

Doug

Howdy Back Doug:

Summit advertizes these carbs with a 4.5 power valve and 78 jets, they don't specify squirters. I think I'll start with the 4.5 power valve and take a drive with my vacuum guage attached.

I'm fairly certain that the 78 jets will be too big. What are you running on your 200? What squirter are you running? Did you have to change accelerator pump cams? How does yours idle?

Thanks in advance fro any info you have gathered.

I ran a 390 four barrel #8007 on my 250 chevy for several years so I will refer back to that tuning data too.

Adios, David

I love my 8007, but I know it needs to be jetted up, and I need to tighten the vacuum secondaries up some, they are coming in too early and eating up my gas mileage.

Slade

David,

Any news yet on your carb comparison?

I installed new plugs (Accell U grooves) and went on a 300 mile cruise to a car show.

Pulled the plugs yesterday and they were totally white...no hint of color on them! I rejetted them from #69 to # 72. I'm running a 6.5 holley power valve and a 33 squirter.

Later,

Doug

Howdy back Doug:

Summit back ordered the 500 Holley for a month and a half and then canciled the order because they can no longer get them from Holley. So, I have a well used core under the workbench that will have to be rebuilt and tested. I'm probably going to do a 1.21 Autolite first, so the Holley's time will come sometime.

I've been distracted with a sick horse (the four legged kind) and installing shoulder/seat belts so my wife will ride with me. Also getting my stock "Powered by Ford" valve cover chromed and installed. I got sidetracked into doing some underhood beautification and it became clear that the aftermarket chromed valve cover was a big part of the oil leak problem. While I was at it I got the Mustang shock tower brackets chromed and went shopping for new front shocks. Does it sound like I have a focus problem?

Life is a process of time and money. If you live long enough you get both.

Life is an inverse process. When you're young enough to enjoy it you can't afford it. When you're old enough to afford it you're too old to enjoy it. (well, not really!)

Adios, David

David, the holley 500 cfm carb is available in the gold color under #4412c i fyou want the bright shiney finish #4412s. according to my holley performance products catalog which you can get from a jobber.
the stock jet size is 122-73 the power valve is 125-50 & the accerator discharge nozzle is .028. if you are not aware holley makes a bowl-quick change jet kits. this bowl comes with removable plugs at the bottom of the bowl, which using the special jet screwdriver can remove the jets without removing the bowls. the part # is 34-25 c for the gold & 34-25s for the shiney. holley also has an electric choke for this carb or a 350 carb. hope this helps. william
keep up the great posts on the performance increases with various carbs.

Interesting about Summit and the Holley... Seems to coincide with the range of BG carbs widening!

David, sorry to hear about the sick horse.

Back