All Small Six Automatic Trans

This relates to all small sixes

myrod1937

Hello, have a trans question: Would this 2005 mustang automatic transmission from a 4.0 v6 work well with a 200ci, in a 1965 Mustang. Would there be much problem in hooking it up? What would be needed? Thank You!

I don't think there are any modern automatic options. If your 200 block is a '65, it's most likely a small bellhousing mount. Have never seen any options for automatic with over-drive for early sixes.
T5 manual conversions are very common.

Hi myrod1937, yes frozenrabbit is right the T5 swap is a very good one for a fairly reasonable cost by finding a good deal on a T5 Trans out of a 5.0 Fox Chassis Mustang. On your question on using one of the better late model Auto's with an Over Drive it's not going to be so easy when working with most all of the 144 to 200 Six's but there are a few way's that you could do it. Probably the easiest way is to go with the bigger 250 Six since it already has same 6 bolt SBF V8 Bell Housing bolt Pattern as the 302 / 5.0 or the vast majority of all the other Ford SBF V8's and the 240 or 300 Big Six's too. But if you wanted to do it with a 200 six, it could also be done a couple ways first if you had or could find one of the late last year 200 Six Block's. I.E. This is the rare 1982 Big Bell Housing Block that's all ready has 2/3 of the SBF 6 bolt Bell Housing bolt Pattern (the 4 Lower ones are exactly the same) and the 2 upper ones can be easily Modded into the full SBF V8 6 bolt Bell Housing patteren. These 200 six's were only used with the new for 1982 C5 Auto Trans that had a Lock Up Torque Convertor. The second way it can also be done for any 144, 170, or most of the 200's blocks is if you can make an Adapter Plate (some of our site members have already done this) or if you have one made to convert from the small Six Bell housing bolt Pattern over to the 6 bolt SBF V8 Bell Housing. A custom Machined Zero Balance 157 Tooth Flex Plate is needed to fit up to the 200's six Crankshaft's Bolt Circle and that's not so hard to have done when you order it. You then can use all the stock SBF V8's parts I.E. the SBF V8 Torque Convertor, The V8 Block Spacer Plate, and the 157 Tooth SBF V8 Bell Housing, and the 2 Bolt SBF V8 Auto trans Starter to complete the job. That would open you up to many possible choices for a late Model Auto Trans with Over Drive From the AOD's, AODE's, or the 4R70W's as well as using one of these new adapters (see the below Link) that has the ability to use lots of the very latest and greatest of Ford's Auto Transmissions being used on the newest Modular Motors currently. Link to this new Adapter Plate Kit is here.

https://transmissionadapters.com/pr...ular-transmission?_pos=1&_sid=3f80825b3&_ss=r

This link also shows the adapter installed on a Small Block ford V8 (SBF V8)

I don't think that it will be very inexpensive to do this adaption on the small six's though but it sure can work, and it would be basically a one time job so then the higher cost would be over.

And than there is also this excellent idea of using the great C4 Auto Trans with a Gear Vendor Over Drive Unit behind it. This Swap was recently done by one of our site members "78_200_C4" for his early Falcon (I think its around a 1960 to 1962 but I don't remember seeing the year only that it has a newer large Log 200 six in it) the car has been his long time Daily Driver, the Gear Vendor install turned out great the link to this install is here. https://fordsix.com/threads/gear-vendor-overdrive-early-falcon-200-c4.83432/#post-663374

As you might all ready know all of the "Case Fill C4 Auto Tranmissions" can be used on a 144, 170, or the vast majority of 200 Six's they are a direct bolt on since the Bell Housing bolts on to them and can be changed over to even use a V8 Trans on the Six, (Do note that you can't use any of the bigger Pan Fill C4's on any 144 to 200 Small Six's there are no Bell Housing's that will fit any of them, the exception is they will fit on the 250 Six's same as the SBF V8's). All you need to be able to do this is use the 1965 up Small Six C4 Bell Housing, its matching Block Spacer, the 200 Six Flex Plate (these may even be the same as used on a Ford O Matic), their Unique Torque Convertor's that have a Ring Gear mounted on them these will then fit up to the main C4 Case (again only a Case Fill Type though) and then its going to bolt right on to any year of the Ford Falcon Small Six Short Block's from 1960 on up including any of the 144's, 170's, and all most all of the 200 Six's at least up to 1981 (and their will also be some of the 1982's block they fir too) any of those that came with a Manual or Auto Transmission as long as they still had a High Mount Starter. The main thing to remember is that all the Ford Small Six's engine with a C4 Auto or also the Ford O & Merc O Matic Transmissions used this exact same Small Bell Housing bolt pattern until end of the 1981 model year. The very best C4's to use for any Higher Performance or Daily Driver use are the newer one's from 1971 and up V8's (these has all of Fords improvements made and also have the best aftermarket parts support) but all years of the Case Fill C4's can fit and will work. As a minimum I really only like using the better Select Shift C4 Models from the 1967 on up or I will also convert those 1964 to 1966 Duel Range C4's into a Select Shift type by using the 1967 to 1969 Valve body in them, hope that helps you some on your project build, and the best of luck. Edited

Ok yes the back of that 1979 200 short block is going to be exactly the same as all the other 200 Six block's that had the Dual Bell Housing Bolt Pattern Short Blocks these were first made in the 1966 year models and up. This continued the same up until the end of 1981 for all 200 Six year model's, they were also still used on the finale 1982 & 1983 200 Six year models that came with a Manual Transmission since those also still had the high Mount Starter's the same as the older models did. What are you using that 200 Six in? Good luck on your project.

Back