Balancer and Water Pump Pulley, VERY CLOSE

as long as belts line up and everything spins freely (not hit 1'n other)…I'd say "Yes".
More details would help'n pic are top notch for the most accurate diagnosis.

ledslinger29":nx3sl7g4 said:
on my 170, I got a two groove balancer from VI, and those things sure are close together. Is it a problem?

they are very close on my 200 as well, using stock pulleys...

:unsure: Don`t loosen the balancer.It must be kept at the proper torque.Need to find the proper water pump pulley.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

I'v e heard U can 'shim out' the H2O (or other pulley. Leo's got it right, don't do it to the HB).
Let's C what the informed have to offer us all...

what is the depth of the wtr pump pulley you have? And the diameter? I have a spare 170 wtr pump pulley I can compare for you. It is different than what I can see of yours.

Nope

On my 81 3.3 Mustang, there is 6" from the water pump to the crank centreline, and the same 3/16"gap between the 6-1/4" harmonic balancer and the 5-3/8" water pump pulley. When you go up to the 6.85" harmonic balancer with a US 200, then you have to go down to a 4-25/32" (4.78125", or 121.44 mm diameter max ) water pump pulley at the most. And for sure, the harmonic balancer is 5/16" further out than the stock 200 blancer. But you just add that in a metal spacer, or scratch build a water pump pulley to suit.

rickwrench did a nice 5" twin belt pulley for his short nose 4" 200 water pump.

Due to the portrusion, without an added spacer, 1.9625" (49.85 mm) is as deep as you can go from the front face of the pulley to the back if its machined this way, as the 200 water pumps lower radiator hose interfers,

http://www.v8alfa.com/images-sounds/pulley.pdf

"...On mine (’81, 3.3 Mustang) there is 6" from the water pump to the crank centerline, and the same 3/16" gap between the 6-1/4" harmonic balancer and the 5-3/8" water pump pulley. When you go up to the 6.85" harmonic balancer with a US 200, then you have to go down to a 4-25/32" (4.78125", or 121.44 mm diameter max ) water pump pulley at the most. And for sure, the harmonic balancer is 5/16" further out than the stock 200 balancer. But you just add that in a metal spacer, or scratch build a water pump pulley to suit.
(rickwrench did a nice 5" twin belt pulley for his short nose 4" 200 water pump).
Due to the protrusion, without an added spacer, 1.9625" (49.85 mm) is as deep as you can go from the front face of the pulley to the back if its machined this way, as the 200 water pumps lower radiator hose interferes…"

Would being a 170 (or my 250) be any different (the OP) than this 3.3?
How much variation is there on these sm6 for yrs and displacements?
One size does not seem to fit all…
:unsure:

If your block is decked 50 thou, it would loose 50 thou space. The dual and triple pulleys are a different size. and offset. If the water pump , water pump pulley or crank pulley differ from OEM spec, then, yeah, a 3/16" spacing could become way less.

There is also a change from 4 bearing 170's to later 200's in pulley to front cover spacing.

chad":2wd6vxlf said:
"...On mine (’81, 3.3 Mustang) there is 6" from the water pump to the crank centerline, and the same 3/16" gap between the 6-1/4" harmonic balancer and the 5-3/8" water pump pulley. When you go up to the 6.85" harmonic balancer with a US 200, then you have to go down to a 4-25/32" (4.78125", or 121.44 mm diameter max ) water pump pulley at the most. And for sure, the harmonic balancer is 5/16" further out than the stock 200 balancer. But you just add that in a metal spacer, or scratch build a water pump pulley to suit.
(rickwrench did a nice 5" twin belt pulley for his short nose 4" 200 water pump).
Due to the protrusion, without an added spacer, 1.9625" (49.85 mm) is as deep as you can go from the front face of the pulley to the back if its machined this way, as the 200 water pumps lower radiator hose interferes…"

Would being a 170 (or my 250) be any different (the OP) than this 3.3?
How much variation is there on these sm6 for yrs and displacements?
One size does not seem to fit all…
:unsure:
chad, the 250 is quite a bit different, does not use the same balancer/watrpump/etc... the 144/170/200 engines are mostly the same in this regard, just the 250 is different...

Econoline":9ph6ohjo said:
what is the depth of the wtr pump pulley you have? And the diameter? I have a spare 170 wtr pump pulley I can compare for you. It is different than what I can see of yours.
I'm showing 5.915 for diameter and roughly 3 for depth, measured from the back of the groove to the front of the pulley. I think my problem may be the water pump length. This new one is about 3.9 from base to outside edge of the flange that the pulley bolts to. Saw the the two looked about the same, and threw out the old one (I know).

This is good, thank you guys.
Looks like Seth may have what U need, Leds.29 ?

I'm hopin my wish to add extra accessories'n buy that 3 groove HB will not make need of a 'spacer" on the others. "Not there yet"2 No…
:nono:

The one I have is ~ 5 11/16" diameter and ~ 1 7/8" deep front to back, ~ 1 1/2" from face to v C/L. The measurement from face the wtr pump to pulley v center would be slightly less than 1 1/2". The water pump on my 170 is about 3 15/16" deep, so probably the same there.

When I have pulley alignment issues on my small six or my FE's,I use moroso 64035 pulley shim kit.I had to use most of 2 kits to get the 2
groove pulley from CI to line up to suit me,and longer bolts also.
Hope this helps.

Sure does.

A last Q or 2:
What HB was used,
what bolts were long enuff to swap in (robbed from where, need hardening, other required paramiters?)
what pulleys needed shims.

Like your solution, thanx !

Chad,
In this latest inCARnation,It's a 69 200 block with the stock 2 row HB with the CI billet 2 groove h2o pulley with 4 or five moroso spacers
while I'm building a plate steel alternator/sanden AC bracket similar to what's on granbaby'mommas 73 maverick to clear speeddaddy headers.
The 5/16 fine thread bolts,316 stainless were robbed from my buddy's oilfield bolt store.HE kinda owes me for the 250/AOD with mod head/2100 I put in his 64 E-van.He doesn't worry about the little stuff I get,he can always charge more to a major oil co.
Sorry,I don't do pics,2G phone,$20 every 3 mos. and have you seen the hassle with pics on this site and other hosting fools trying to monetize?
It helps to have 20 year friendships with welders,bolt shop owners, and others.I do wiring.my body man and machinist died,but only after they retired,I warned them,keep busy,if you have a project,maybe it'll keep you moving.
just keep wrenching.

it's all helpful (Y else do we show up here?) but 4 = alot of distance…

U sound like a cool gramps, us "3rd generationals" hafta stick 2get her.
Thanks again~

Less C if Leds.29 got what he needs...

Really? It fit's/works or it doesn't. You buy something for a falcon six it should work. If it always doesn't then it should come with what makes it work. I hope that's not the case. Sure we can make things work and yipee

yipee when this 1 putts dwn da rd...

Back