Camaro exaust & other options....

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,
So I am running the Clifford dual outs with 2 pipes all the way out. 2" dia. with a turbo muffler on each side. I hate the sound. Great at idle to 1,200 or so, but deafening on the highway. Like 2 hondas racing.

A muffler shop suggested I switch to the new Flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers that are small & designed to be a quieter hot rod muffler, but the sound clips on thier website make me think they will still be too loud. I would like to switch mufflers, but size will be an issue because of the location . I ordered some Magnaflows, but didn't realize until they got here that they are basically straight through. Anyone have those on thier 6? Are they loud?

It's a little late to switch to Camaro set up since I have invested in this whole deal recently. Could I do a single muffler with 2 inlets & 2 outlets & achieve a better sound & crossover effect at the same time? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

David K
1963 Mercury Comet Convertible
170 w/ 200 big valve head, Clifford 6 into 2, Full custom dual exhaust, Pertronix II, crappy old 1bbl.
Seattle

On duals, a crossover (H- or X-) will change the sound and quiet the exhaust. Or you could go to a more stock style turbo muffler that kills the sound off.

So is the H a good idea? It quiets it in a positive sense? Maybe that's a good place to start & then also throw in a couple of resonators before the turbos?
Thanks,
David K

Back