All Small Six Electronic ignition--what to order

This relates to all small sixes

adobejoe

I should not be so confused. I have a 200 six, with a slightly larger carburetor. I think the carb is off a 230 or 250 ci six .Carb is an autolite 1101 with the spark control valve. Engine runs smooth at idle but not getting the advance on the load a matic, so ready to order the electronic ignition. I think the mechanical distributer is original, so it is way past time to upgrade. Going in my 1965 mustang.

Anyway, I have studied the options till I am blue in the face and between the Pertronix, Duraspark II, and DUI I want the Duraspark II, Don't want to pull parts off old cars, so I can just plan to order from summit or direct from performance distributors.

I am pretty handy at figuring out the wiring (mustang steve diagram) and have a lot of ring terminals, etc at my business. Even have 14 gauge wire.

Looks like I need a Motorcraft DY893 on the control module.
I am confused on the difference between the Duraspark PN 65720 and the Duraspark PN 66720. Which one?
I will also order a Ford Live Wire harness.

Looks like I will need a couple of plug ends?

I am concerned that A) this will "drop in" to my rebuilt 200 six (I did not change the cam), and B) it will be "curved" correctly for my engine/carb combo.
okay.

Thanks for all the input in the past, especially bubba.

adobejoe

The DuraSpark II PN 66720 fits the 240, & 300 Big Sixes found mostly in the Pickups it won't work for you. You would need the DuraSpark II PN 65720 they fit the 1965 up 170, 200, & 250 Small Sixes' and would drop right in with a stock or aftermarket Flat Tappet Camshaft. The Carb will also need an easy little mod to block off the Venturia Vacuum Source for the SCV. Best Wishes

That is what I will order. I am replacing turn signal switch and have not put the dash gauge assembly back in because I want to at least route the control wire from ignition key assembly to ignition control module which I will likely mount on driver side engine compartment, close to distributer.

Ford live wire harness for the “DUI” distributors, according to order options. So I guess I skip that otherwise they will send it if I order it. Can I run my existing spark plug wires and coil and just see how it runs?

To use all the stock Parts (DS II Distributor, Coil, and Ignition Control Module) You will need an engine Ignition Harness like you posted about before in this link. https://fordsix.com/threads/running-with-two-issues.85007/#post-687229
I don't know if you can use your Coil which one do you have now? All the Spark Plug Wire Ends and Coil Wire Terminals at the Distributor would need to be changed over to the 90 Degree Female, or else you can use a stock set for a 1976 to 1983 200 Six.

I suspect I will need a new coil minimum. I have three old ones but don’t have much hope in any of the three. Pics. What to order? I ordered wire harness and control module. The performance auto sales dude is trying to convince me on the DUI….new construction, all contained, etc. but I am not buying it. They apparently remanufactured the DuraSpark..

Attachments

• C7A7EE2B-94C3-489A-943F-C5B7611B4D8F.jpeg
    C7A7EE2B-94C3-489A-943F-C5B7611B4D8F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 2A67E504-F305-4CA8-B482-B242758EA978.jpeg
    2A67E504-F305-4CA8-B482-B242758EA978.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
& I like the 'gm 4 pin' (in place of the DSII 'brain'), the DSII dizzy, & it's coil, Schematic? - on line at 'go fast for less'.
I actually have the oe 'module' (alu fined box w/blue strain relief'grommet') but would do the other if mine fails. Smaller, less expensive, easier to source & can carry a spare easily in glovie. (glad to see no MSD box in ur list).

Not to be a 'must B like me-er', but some here skip the expense, size'n trouble the DUI dizzy gives...
Y R U almost rewiring the whole rig?

Back