All Small Six Autolite issue, no fuel to jet.

This relates to all small sixes

adobejoe

So the car was running fine but then and it sat for a month. Now it is not getting fuel. ie when I pull the throttle linkage manually, I cannot see the fuel squirt in. I thin that main needle valve is stuck up? Checked fuel line and it is filling a cup, so the fuel pump must be fine. what to check? I can dribble a little fuel directly in carb throat and it starts then is not gettgin fuel, stalls. Any chance it is one of the check balls, counter weight? What to check?

Unfortunately it is the 1101 which does not have the removable needle seat. The needle valve itself has a very minor indent on the taper portion near the point.

My duraspark II ordered but I want to make sure I have the fuel side of things working well first

Sounds like a bad accelerator pump diaphragm. No squirt points to that.

Watched your video of it running, that bog when you give it gas also sounds like a bad diaphragm.

Check to see that the internal power valve rod moves freely.

Last edited:
Replaced pump diaphragm and checked spring. Seems okay. Same symptom...no fuel to carb throat. Will pull top half and check that power valve rod. Can that be cleaned or replaced? I have two other autolite carbs, but smaller throat diameter so have some access to parts.

Pulled top. The fuel seems to be under pressure when I break seal. Too much in bowl. Will check float setting…should be 1 1/8 in. The power valve does not move smoothly. Videos on mikes carbs are good, except he basically skip the power valve. Will blow out passages with air.

Blow some of the Berrymen's Carb Cleaner the kind in a Spray Can through all the Passages while it's apart.

Reset float, blew out jets with solvent and air. Doing better. Exhaust leak is making a little noise. Not sure if manifold or tailpipe. Need to track that Down. Will keep posted. Thanks on inputs!

Running much better! Must of been somehow the jet clogged or something. But I noticed another disturbing issue. There appears to be a few drops of liquid coming out the tailpipe where it enters muffler. I am wondering if I have an issue in the water jacket….how could coolant get into engine? I need to check oil dipstick, The engine was entirely rebuilt. Overbore, new pistons, etc.. ugh I hope it is not serious.

Hi, cold engines will spit water out of the exhaust. You should not have water coming out of a warmed up engine. White smoke shows an engine burning coolant. I had a feeling that something was blocking the fuel in the carb. Glad you got it running better. Good luck

Thanks Bronco. Good news running much better. Bad news losing coolant….found out where….through heater core and dripping on passenger side floor. Don’t think it is rubber hose to core fitting but will replace hose clamps and cinch up and try again. I know I cle@ned that core out with vinegar and did not see any leaks.

Back