All Small Six Head bolts: trimming or reusing original ones

This relates to all small sixes

clochard68

Subscriber
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
I mocked up my cylinder head with the ARP head bolts I got, and found that they are a little too long, they bottom out. I used the supplied washers from ARP (as seen in the picture).
I have two options (engine will not exceed 9.5:1 static compression):

1) grind off some length of the ARP bolts, or
2) reuse my original head bolts

Is grinding an option? Would that weaken the bolts if they got too hot?

20230628_155733.jpg

dont forget a trim off the bottom of "water pump bolt'. As it extends dwn it can contact the impeller as it rotates. Also apply some snot (technical term) to it B4 threading in to seal/keep from rusting (the water there). (page 44/5 Handbook):
talks abt 'adapting' these 2 bolts (#11 & 13) as anomalies of the ford6 engines.

I may re-use head bolts ONE time (on low mi/late model engines). I think they stretch/R outta tolerance much more'n that & so more often use APR studs, nuts, washers.
It's easier to set a head dwn on studs (asa guide) anyway. 2 uses there is quite enuff.
The oem bolts? who nos how many times re-used? I aint had'em their whole life (1/2 century) to no their history~

On cutting the ARP bolts, it's kinda a necessity on the one that might hit the water pump impeller so if it's fine there, it should be fine everywhere.

not sure what UR asking.
What does removing stock from an object do?

No, countersinking would do nothing beneficial, and everything bad. Or do you mean somehow drilling and tapping additional depth? Cheaper/easier to buy new bolts, or in my case, I bought studs. Nothing takes up slack for a shaved head like head studs.

I know it's 5 daze later but:
"...counter-sinking the block..."
many here ask a Q w/the answ already embedded in the Q. Better to state a problem and ask
for assistance. Here I'm not sure what's up w/U on this (not the 5d missing after posting a Q) but
it might B: I have too short (or used) head bolts. What's the simplest? or best practices? or? or? to this problem?

Back