All Small Six Head gasket replacement

This relates to all small sixes

twodogs

Supporter 2021
They say no good deed goes unpunished. Some of you may recall that I just had my engine out of my Bronco to replace a leaking rear main and to replace the clutch. It's been running great with no leaks....until last week. I noticed about a tablespoon of coolant had dripped down between the bellhousing and the oil pan. I couldn't see anything coming from the back of the head so I convinced myself that I had a leaky freeze plug right above where the flywheel bolts up. I had replaced all my freeze plugs when I yanked the engine a couple months ago. Because I HATE leaks and I wasn't sure of the source, I pulled the engine again. A person gets pretty good at it the second time around. It looks like it was in fact the back of the head that was leaking, as I can see a wet edge at the block/head mating surfaces.

Last winter I put in a Felpro head gasket (installed without any sealant as per their instructions) and new ARP head bolts, so I was surprised to see the leak. I've since read this post at Vintage Mustang about how the Felpro gasket will leak on you if you don't use some type of sealant with it.

So, I have three questions. 1. Does everyone else use the Felpro for their 200 cid L6 engine? 2. What if any sealant do you recommend to use with it? And 3. Are there any installation tips you've learned that would be helpful?

Thanks!

You use no sealer on a composite head gasket.
The Fel-Pro is .048" compressed.
Go with a Victor, its only .044" compressed & needs no sealer.
I have run the Victor's on several engines with no problems.
Check the freeze plug on the back of the head & check for cracks in the head surface. Good luck.

X2 you would never use a sealer on the FelPro Print O Seal head gaskets. If you didn't before you should use a bottoming tap to clean / chase out all the blind head bolt holes so they are clean and free of any dirt, grime, crude, etc. Make sure that head bolts arn't bottoming out before they are tight if they do happen to be a little bit longer than the original head bolts you can use a set of the flat hardened head bolt washers on them. Also check that the heads deck surface is lean and flat as well as rye block deck surface too. Best of luck

Hi, I have done my share of head gaskets and always install dry. Never had a problem. I can see the point of sealing the water passage on a V8 but I never do. If there was sealer under the head gasket my concern is the gasket won't lay flat. I also double check all the bolts with a torque wrench. Good luck

Thanks folks! I'm actually suspecting it was a leaking freeze plug right above the flywheel. Replaced that today and used some Indian Head sealant this time. Figured a little sealant would help in the event the surfaces weren't perfect. Hopefully it'll help, and not cause a worse leak.

I pulled the head, cleaned out the threads with a tap, cleaned the block/head mating surfaces, and checked for flatness -- which turned out to be quite good according to my mechanic neighbor. I checked the head bolts and there's good clearance. I don't see any evidence of cracks on the head or the block. I ordered the Victor gasket and thanks for the lead on that one. I wasn't aware of it but it's nicer to find a thinner one.

I'll be installing the dry gasket once it arrives on Tuesday. Glad I asked the experienced crew here, as it seems like people are addicted to putting RTV on everything.

Hi, I always use Indian head or a permatex brown gasket maker on the freeze plugs. Good luck

Good new, at least the head looks ok.
Let us know when its breathing air again. Bill

I got everything buttoned up again and the engine is in. I’ve been driving it around for several days and I’m happy to report that that I can’t find any leaks whatsoever.

As an aside, I swear the hardest part of the engine installation is trying to get the bolt back in that sits on the top driver’s side of the bellhousing. It’s right by the temp sensor and there isn’t any room in that tunnel. Flex head wrenches didn’t get me any further. I think that bolt will always be my white whale!

Thanks for the help on the gasket, guys!

Glad t hear you got the Bronco running good again Congrats on a job well done!

Back