All Small Six High Flow Water Pump and Dual roller timing chain

This relates to all small sixes

shreqshack

Hi everyone....as a novice/newbie I am trying to sort through what parts to purchase for my timing chain and water pump replacement.
A little background: I have an inline 6 200 in a 1965 Mustang. The engine is original to the car which has 94K miles. The car has been sitting for 25 years. I would like to make it a daily driver at some point but I am trying to be realistic about the amount of money and repair time that will ultimately take. I have a couple thousand dollars to get this back on the road.

The current project is updating the timing chain and water pump. I have heard about upgrading to a high flow water pump (see link below) and purchasing dual roller (see link below) timing chains/gears. While I am glad these parts are available, I am wondering whether the improvement that these parts offer are really worth the extra cash needed if I am putting them on an older engine and have a limited budget. I am asking you all because you have more experience then I do and I just dont know.

I can spend $50 for a NAPA water pump or $100 for the high flow water pump
I can spend $30 for a NAPA timing gear set or $130 for the double roller set..

I apologize for my lack of knowledge....just appreciate your advice....thanks

Since your 1965 Mustang 200 is totally stock and your budget is limited to get it running, I would use a stock type timing chan and gear set such as a Cloyles or Melling these are very good quality and will last quite awhile (see below for examples of the Cloyes & Melling stock type Timing Sets). The the double roller timing set upgrade is an excellent one but if your funds don't allow for it, then save that for the future at engine rebuild time or when you want to install a new aftermarket camshaft. On the Hi Flow water pump again I don't see you really needing it however if you live in a area with higher then average air temps or if you also have an Air Conditioner system in your car then maybe. For most stock 200 six engines a new GMB water pump is a great choice (see below). Best of luck

Cloyes Timing Chain Gear & Set

Melling Timing Chain & Gear Set

GMB Water Pump

Since your 1965 Mustang 200 is totally stock and your budget is limited to get it running, I would use a stock type timing chan and gear set such as a Cloyles or Melling these are very good quality and will last quite awhile (see below for example of a Cloyles & Melling stock type Timing Set). The the double roller timing set upgrade is an excellent one but if your funds don't allow for it, then save that for the future at engine rebuild time or when you want to install a new aftermarket camshaft. On the Hi Flow water pump again I don't see you really needing it however if you live in a area with higher then average air temps or if you also have an Air Conditioner system in your car then maybe. For most stock 200 six engines a new GMB water pump is a great choice (see below). Best of luck

Cloyes Timing Chain Gear & Set

Melling Timing Chain & Gear Set

GMB Water Pump
Thanks so much.... I may spring for the more expensive water pump if you think it would help. I live in TN... it’s 90 plus through several months of the year and installing an aftermarket a/c unit is in the top of my wishlist. Thoughts?

I just got a high-flow pump and roller timing chain after seeing the stretch in mine when I replaced the oil pan gasket. I do have factory air and live in central VA. and I will be tearing into it this winter when she's bedded down for the winter. I totally plan on redoing the entire engine when I can score a 250 head or even better, one of Matt Cox's head setups, but the line is long on that one, so who knows. In the meantime, DSII/MSD, sniper 1100 and the stuff above will keep me going. Finally getting my T5 put in tomorrow. Ran into a parts snag, so she's been sitting on a lift waiting. Should be getting that and an alignment (new front end, Shelby/Arning drop, disk brakes, etc) too which will put me back in the road until the weather gets crappy. If you are changing your pump, I recommend flushing the system. I replaced my freeze plugs and the amont of crap in there was disturbing!

Back