How to build a better inline six???

I think the ford 200, 250, and 2.3 atleast all share the same rod end dimentions. The fact that they use the same bearings supports this, but the recorded big end width for a 2.3 rod is .990. which would mean a gap of .25 on either side of the rod. What do you mean oil loss? It would seem to me that oil goes up into the bearings and then drains back to the pan how woul a slightly smaller bearing surface area effect this?

I don't understand your math. Assuming a 1" crank journal, I come up with .010 or .005 per side.

Side clearance controls the amount of oil that gets trapped around the journal. If its too wide, more oil leaks out causing lower oil pressure. Bearing clearance controls oil flow the most. Too tight, not enough oil flow to cool the bearing. Of course you need a certain amount of clearance so the rod can move around and not bind excessively as everything rotates. I would think too much side clearance and the rods would hammer side-to-side on every rotation cocking the piston and disturbing the ring seal.

Oh yeah sorry I always forget the zero lol. I guess that makes sense. The big end width of a sbc rod is .940 and the big end width of our engines stock rods are .990. So that means there would be an extra .025 of journal on either side of the rod. The question is how big of a deal is it and in there any way around it?

Back