improving stock 200

I'm 18 and I'll be the first to admit that I occasionally have complaints about my old Falcon. But then again when you're laying on a cold rubber mat in a non heated garage at 8 degree temps....

Anyway, for me I know the love outweighs the hate 1000 fold. I think a lot of that comes from the fact that I (with a little help and guidance) did almost all of the work on my. I'd say maybe try to convince her to help with the swap if you go through with it and throw some information at her. IMO the more you know about it, the more you appreciate it. Either way that is a gorgeous car and I like the custom touches (I did the modern sound system in mine too but mine is hidden in the glove compartment) and I wouldn't be quick to sell it. My bet is that after a few weeks of driving some boring modern crap she'd be begging for that "PITA" back :LOL:

Either way, good luck. Coming from someone who spends 8 hours a day, 5 or more days a week with teenage girls, I feel your pain ;)

Okay...you've done a great job of clarifying the situation.

Fix the car enough to sell it for a decent price. Get yourself a classic that YOU want -- or modify the driver's seat so you fit. And get your daughter a late-model used V6 Mustang. (Cheap!) It's got twice the power of the original 200, a lot more reliability, and a lot more safety. Plus it has the "retro" ponycar styling.

Given the lack of safety features in a 1st-generation Mustang, I really don't think a careless teenager should be driving a classic on a daily basis anyway.

HighVolkage":3cujzqyd said:

Your case is different. You own it. You work on it. You're not a teenage girl with little or no mechanical inclination seeking an "image"...

I'm 19 and have had my car since i turned eighteen (bought it myself about two weeks after my birthday) and i've loved it since we test drove it and had to tow it home because the carb went out of tune. Since then I spent a year rebuilding the motor, suspension, replacing wire harnesses, rebuilding alternator and starters. Now i drive it everday, and even though it has problems i love the car more then any other car i've driven.

The darn Falcon has 100 times more personality then my other cars. I've cussed it out, slapped it, and of course hugged it and told it I loved it. Yeah its a 4 door, and yeah the near stock 200 has no go after about 3300 rpms but its my car that i bought and that i put time into. Plus it just makes my day that even though the back is faded and a little rusty, people in nice cars (bmw's and mercedes, brand new) have stopped to tell me it was a nice car.

My sister had our dad buy her her mustang so of course she has a near restored 67 coupe with a 289. Her motor spun a bearing though (only thing not restored yet :( ) and so she's been carless till me and her boyfriend (also my best friend) finish putting it all back togethor. She's barely done any work on it, but she tries and does what she can to help and we're grateful. But then again she's the one fronting the bill for 90% of the work (we've done stuff like i got her an intake manifold for xmas, and am getting her the carb too).

The point is she's gotta either do work on it or put down a good amount of money for it to really appreciate the darned thing.

HighVolkage":8xduc2p4 said:
page62":8xduc2p4 said:
Given the lack of safety features in a 1st-generation Mustang, I really don't think a careless teenager should be driving a classic on a daily basis anyway.

I do! :nod:

i plan on driving mine everyday.

im planning on adding 3 point seat belts soon.

We are still throwing many ideas back and fourth (Wife and Myself)
What exactly to do about th car situation.

In my mind.......The daughter is graduating this spring, and going to college the end of August. On her campus she will not be able to have a car there her first two years.......
I am thinking she has the Mustang until she goes off to college, then wife and I will clean it up and decide sell or modify and keep it for us (I kind of like the idea of selling it to buy classic for my self, only problem is most of the cars I would want are starting to become way out of my price range that I could afford, and do not know what wife would say)

When she is on break from college, I will give her my jeep to use, then maybe when she is allowed a car on campus, we would help her get something newer.

This to me probably makes the most sense.......I would love to say look I busted my butt, spent lots of money and even much more sweat trying to give you something special and nice, But it was not good enough, so if you do not like it, walk, hitch a ride, or try and get your father to get you a car (He is broke) Your mother and I are sick of your complaints and lack of appreciation for what we have done and how we have tried. Sp we will take the car back so as not to burden you with it, work it out yourself.

Bad part is her mom probably would not go along with this plan....she will complain about her daughter's whining about it but I do not know if she has the back bone to put it hard.

I am torn between the first plan, and just going out now and getting her a cheapie newer car, now then sitting on the Mustang trying to decide what I want to do.

You know I just really wanted to do something nice for the girl, tried to give her something special. Explained from day one sice it is an older car it will have more hiccups, and need more tweaking along the way. IF I knew this is how it would have been, I would have never ever done the Mustang for her......I guess we learn as we go.

Tim

Get the cheapie used car NOW (Fox-body Mustang?) It'll keep wife and stepdaughter happy. Keep the OLD Mustang in the garage until the smoke clears, so to speak. Claim that the flux capacitor is broken and on indefinite back order...or some such.

Get a subscription to Hemmings Classic Car (not the same publication as Hemmings Motor News). It's a wonderful magazine, and it'll show you there are still plenty of really cool cars out there that are not in the "radar" of the very narrow focus of the muscle car collector. You'd be surprised!

After reading this thread, my opinion is it's not about the car, it's about the relationship. She's spoiled, and has gotten to expect it. Is not grateful, and does not appreciate the work. She realizes you're trying to get on her good side, and uses that to her advantage. That said, I'd let the car sit there and when she asks why it's not done... it will be as soon as you help me with it, no worky, no car. Unfortunately, that could show her true colors :cry:

Oh believe me spoiled is not the half of it
Her dad gives her her way to just keep her from nagging and complaining
Her mom like me likes to give nice things the difference is I do not take much crap from her, I tell her when she messes up but I will also tell her when she does good.....I have tried the not doing anything route, she is stubborn and will go without before she yields or asks Unless she is truly desperate........Her mom on the other hand does not like to see the girl saddened or upset.......the girl does wrong, breaking rules for example, The mom will complain to me, but when we go to discuss it with the daughter the mom sugar coats it all.....I am really dissapointed, blah, blah, blah, But there will be no accountability, no repercussions, the kid gets off scott free..........As the step dad, I can only do so much.

I knew this was going to happen, I tried to explain we all want to be nice, We try to treat the daughters with a little slack, they have a week with us and a week at their dads, There dad has over done it with more than there share of chores (The girls have to clean up after him and his family the day the get back there from the messes made the week they were not there. He makes them do alot more than should be ..I won't go into all that but it is not the greatest.... so we do cut some slack but make them do enough to pull their share, so we are sometimes nicer than should be trying to offset the other side But I have preached we still have to have rules, limits, and repercussions or we will get walked all over, and earn no respect........well reading bits of this story you can see this is what has happened....It sucks.

I try and treat these girls as if they were my own, as such I do try and do nice things for them, I try and give nice things and to help take care or look out for them. I have wanted a friendship with both daughters, I thought this car would help in this with her and I doing it together But she did not want to participate.......I still go on I am not doing all of the extras anymore, I am still trying to do what I feel in a parental position is needed, but not the extras.

That is what started this thread, I have had past posts discussing questions for building a strong fun 200 for the car......Now I decided screw it I will do the minimums, go with a mostly stock engine in it, as little further money as needed, I was asking the cam question wondering otherwise in the mostly stock engine if a mild cam would maybe increase economy or just daily driving performance.....figured if so I would do this while changing to a fresh engine. If I decide to sell the car I need a better engine in it that is not burning oil so bad, to help me sell it, Of course if we decide to keep it for us then we want the best driver possible and of course I would possibly build the origional block for my tastes and swap it back later. BTW I still wonder about the engine question as well.

Tim

I'd tell daughter that if she loves the car so much, she needs to ACT like it and help take care of it. And if/when she lets it fall apart, let it sit and let her walk or make other arrangements.

Regarding the car, rebuild/repair the engine bone stock.
(1) If you decide to sell it it'll have more value as an original unmolested car,
(2) Original 200's are a good mix of economy and power, and dead reliable,
(3) There's no point in throwing more money/time/effort at it now, especially since she really doesn't care about it enough to get off her butt and act like she cares about it. If you decide to keep it you can upgrade it later.

Regarding the relationship, you and your wife desperately need to sit down and come to an agreement on what to do that you will BOTH stick to. Your step-daughter is playing you both against each other, and I hate to say it but you two married each other, not her. Stick with your wife. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Wife and I have been talking about it lots,
She is getting better, far from good at it but getting better
She has a fear built in that she is going to run the daughter away.......
Yes it could be a possibility But I do not see it happening.

She has had a hard time facing teen age spirit, not needing mom all the time and not being an open book to mom as much anymore either.

I keep re assuring her that I do not think she will loose her but I explain over and over teens drift away often and just as often they later resume a relationship that is often better. I also have hopes that maybe someday the daughter will realize the sacrifices and efforts we put in trying to make her llife better, It could be my fantasy and I wish itt would click now but maybe someday.

The wife is starting to get a little more willing to take more stands especially on this car issue, so who knows?

As far as the engine, and the car, I am beaten is so many ways on this. I wanted it to be a good thing, something to be special to the daughter but it did not really work out as i had wished it would. Oh well I am a realist and can deal with it (does not mean it is not dissapointing though)

I really am leaning towards going with the engine going in fresh but mostly stock, as many of you seem to be voting for (I will still run the header and exhaust allready in the car, as well as the DUI ignition as I feel it is much better and reliable than the stock ignition) There is nothing more I would love than to see a well put together warmed over 200 go back in but I am so drained by it all, I just want it over. I would consider letting it go as isbut the loss I believe would be too great compared to what I could get with the sound fresh engine. At first it was a joy working on it, as well as a great learning experience, but now it is a draining chore.

Tim

It's good that you have given so much without prejudice.

Even better, you still have something (the car) at the end of it all - the money could easily have gone on legal fees, remedial schooling, "must have" holidays or anything else.

If you like cars - and it seems you do - then maybe it will hurt you less if another vehicle (newer, safer and reliable) is obtained while the Mustang is held up for critical review.

You know, I feel I should apologize for this topec weaving and waving more than a little off topic, and then touching topic....

I do want to share I really appreciate the feedback and support from you all, It really feels nice to have you give your 2 cents and to feel your support or dissageance. It means much while we are trying to sort this out as to what to do and how to handle it best.

Thanks again
Tim

You know, it'll run for quite awhile with weak rings, and all it costs is a quart of oil every so often (assuming it's not into the "mosquito abatement program" mode already).

You could just let it keep on going as is, and let time sort some of this stuff out - just a thought.

We're praying for you and your family.

It has been in light cloud dusting mode for a while, been running it that way for a while, smells like a 10w40 airfreshener when your driving through town.......It is unavoidable have to fix it at some point.......If I go to sell it, It would certainly detract from value smoking as it does, of course if we keep it do not want a smoker stove on wheels either.

and thanks for the kind thoughts as well

Tim

I love this thread, Fixing cars and relationships - fordsix.com does it all!

I think this line sums it up best right here:

i know the time and money i spend on my cars has taught me to be alot nicer to them

That's exactly how I was... and it appears how she isn't.

It's a fundamental law of human nature that people don't appreiciate things they don't work for. Expecting your teenage daughter to overcome this is expecting too much.

So park the car, sell the car, do whatever YOU need to do to make YOUR life work, and let her figure out her own car situation. IF you want to help, tell her you will match her on a car purchase, and match her on repairs if she decides she wants to roll w/ the mustang (she could have a revelation).

Otherwise, you gotta pay to play. I'm 26 and it wasn't too long ago that I was in her shoes. My parents bought me my first car @ 17 for 1000$. I kept that POS running by hook or by crook for a few years until I got into my camaro, and then the hobby was off to the races (in more than one way).

I worked for it all - and my parents helped plant the seed... if they had done anymore, I am confident I would have f*d it up. (Self edited!)

And now for the dirty old man in me... you say she just turned 18? lol... j/k.

Good Luck.

Well I really think we are leaning towards her using the car for the next few months.....In August, she heads off to college, and at her school she will not be able to have a car for two years.

When she goes I will probably sell the car using a little of the money to buy her a cheaper late model what ever, then I may have to look towards getting me a project car with the rest of the money.

I would love to go and get her something cheap now andd go ahead and pull the car, but right now with our remodeling inside and building a barn outside, I really do not have the extra dollars to do it.

So anyway just figured I would update with my current thinking.

PS anyone want to buy a Mustang? ;)

Tim

There was a fellow advertising in the "Wanted" last week. He was looking for a slushbox '67 six cyliner car.

Back