200ci Inline 6 200 Cylinder Head Options

This applies only to 200ci

65felix

I have recently rebuilt a inline 6 200, but always wanted to push a little bit more power out of it. Planning on getting fuel injection and maybe adding boost. I'm just holding back until I figure out the cylinder head situation. I have heard about the 250 2v heads but they are basically impossible to get your hands on them. Same with the aluminum cylinder head. Not sure if a 300 head would be able to be machined to bolt on to a 200 block. Or even modify the original cylinder head, but not sure if that's worth it in the end. I'm curious on what options I have with a bone stock 6.20201004_211500.jpg

The next best head to the 2V and aluminum is to get the later large valve head and machine off the intake log and make your own intake maifold.
With the intake out of the way you can do some nice port work.
Here is the best example you will find.

Thanks for the pics.
Great looking Mustang!

The next best head to the 2V and aluminum is to get the later large valve head and machine off the intake log and make your own intake maifold.
With the intake out of the way you can do some nice port work.
Here is the best example you will find.

Thanks for the pics.
Great looking Mustang!
I just saw that in the fordsix forms. The head flow when ported is pretty close to a 250 2v. Do you know if it's easy to find a larger log head? I'm sure it's easier than finding a 250 or the aluminum head haha.

To make your search for a late model large log a little easier the 240 and 300 six'es are Fords big block six theres no head interchangeably with the Ford small block six's 144, 170, 200, or the 250's. The first design of the large logs started on the 1969 to 1976, the 1977 to 1979, was the second improved design, with the final redesign improvements made on the last of 200 / 250 Log heads in 1980 to 1983 about the only differance between them is a slightly bigger log on the second and Thrid design, all of these large log heads are sot after for to doing a 2V carb swap. If you plan to be cutting off the log anyway than it dosen't mater so much on the year. Also note that there isn't any kind of difference between the 200 or 250 heads they are both identical to each other since about the 1974 and later heads. As far as cutting off the logs of any of the older heads this also could be done and probably the very first one was done sometime after the first few new Falcon 144 cu. in. Six'es were released in mid September of 1959. Best of luck

bubba
The 62cc chamber head will be better suited for turbocharging.
It looks like a 1977 and up head has the larger intake valve.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Bubba!! I'm not really trying to cut off the log, but do you know how much performance you would get if you do? I'll start the hunt for one 1977 and up.

Your Mustang is a really a thing of beautify! It should be somewhat comparable to the 250 2V iron heads that they had over in Australia, but these large logs having bigger ports should flow much more. I had tried for years to get ahold of one of the Austrailian 2V heads and even paid for one that never got shipped. I am going to do a cut off log on my next small block build if I can get ahold of an extra head, I have the info from a 2V Austrailian 250 head, the port lay out pattern so I will just make my own and then build a custom intake. If you can get on the list for the Aluminum 2V Head from V.I. It's the best head you can use. There is also the Argentina 221 SP heads in Aluminum they are real beauties, that are also made new I don't know what shipping would be to get one with an intake. Best of luck

Thanks Bubba, she is all looks right now but no go. If I was to go ahead and cut off the log, then I could use any year cylinder head? Since the size of the log wouldn't matter at that point? But if I was to try and keep the log the best options would be 1977 and up from what you said. Pmuller9 thanks for some links to cylinder heads !!

Well if your leaning more to a Turbo build then as pmuller9 stated you want a head with bigger combustion chambers. This would mean at least a 1969 or newer head starting then they all had 62 CC chambers. If larger vales are also needed than they can be added but the 1977 up heads will have the 1.750 intakes stock these also have the bigger carb hole opening of 1 3/4 Iinch which also helps too, many will open this up even more to 2 to 2 1/8 inch for better flow when using the log or they do a 2V direct mount which is even better flowing. Edited!

Alright, I'll keep that in mind when looking for a new head. Thanks this really helped a lot. Hopefully I'll get one step closer to getting my car more reliable. The one barrel carb is not it.

The one barrel carb is not it.
The one barrel carb is a restriction even for the stock engine.

You mentioned fuel injection at the beginning of this thread.
how would you go about FI with the cast iron log intake?

Last edited:
The one barrel carb is a restriction even for the stock engine.

You mentioned fuel injection at the beginning of this thread.
how would you go about FI with the cast iron log intake?
I was thinking of using an adapter plated, but since I'm planning on getting a new head I will just have it machined for a 2 barrel carb. Looking at holley sniper 2300.

The Sniper 2300 is great for a naturally aspirated engine but it is not set up for boosted applications if you still want to use a turbocharger.

I have a 78 head that I had started pocket porting. I have some porting tools - basically a foredom flex shaft tool and various burs and sanding implements. I could finish my pocket porting work, or turn it over to you for your project. Head had been cleaned/inspected prior to my beginning.

I have a 78 head that I had started pocket porting. I have some porting tools - basically a foredom flex shaft tool and various burs and sanding implements. I could finish my pocket porting work, or turn it over to you for your project. Head had been cleaned/inspected prior to my beginning.

Thank you for the offer, very nice of you. How much are you selling it for if I take it off your hands as is?

The Sniper 2300 is great for a naturally aspirated engine but it is not set up for boosted applications if you still want to use a turbocharger.
What would you recommend for a boosted setup? I wasn't planning on pushing a crazy amount of power, so I didn't want to get the super sniper. Still want to be a decent daily driver with some more power to get me over the hills.

Back