All Small Six Input Wanted - Maverick 250

This relates to all small sixes
I pulled the engine out of my 74 Maverick project car last weekend. Am thinking about how far I need to go in refreshing the engine. I'm trying to build a driver here so creating the best of the best isn't really my goal. As far as I can tell, this car was parked in 1986 and not driven since. Seller told me it sat outside at his house for the last 17 years. Odometer shows 57k miles but the numbers don't line up nicely so their validity is questionable. My overall impression of the car is that its closer to a 57k mile car than a 157k mile car. The body is tight and straight and car was relatively unmolested.

Engine had the original head gasket in it when I opened it up. Links to pictures of the engine are below. Cylinders all look good, except #6 which is somewhat fouled. I'm thinking this may be due to a valve seal.

I've been hoping I might get away with doing a valve job, inspecting the bearings, replacing the oil pump, cleaning it up, and putting it back in with new gaskets and externals. Next level I've considered is to do bearings, hone the cylinders and do rings. And yes, I'll do a full overhaul if I have to. Pistons are tight in the cylinders. Ridge at top of the cylinders is minimal.

This car has a lot of needs. I want to fix what needs to be fixed, but not break the bank replacing stuff that's ok.

I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on what I have here and how best to proceed.

Photo - All Cylinders
Photo - Head
Photo - Cylinders 1-3
Photo - Cylinders 3-6
Photo - Engine in Car

I think it will all depend on end goal and budget. Let us know what your budget is to better advised on rebuild.
Are you looking to do some engine work your self?

I'll have a machine shop take care of the valve job. I can do bearings, and rings with a digleberry hone job myself. Anything beyond that I'll leave to the machine shop. My goal is just to have a smooth running reliable engine for cruising.

Looks like the Block and head could use a real good cleaning. When you take the Head to the shop be sure to have them Check that the Valve Guides are still within Specs. A Re-Ring Kit is fairly inexpensive and gives you most all of the parts to do a good overhaul, then add a new set of Freeze Plugs and some Paint if you want. Best wishes

Hi, you are on the right track. If that was my engine I would freshen it up with rings, bearings, and a performance cam. I would also get the valve job done. Also CC the combustion chambers. Then machinist can mill the head to increase the compression ratio. Then you have a fresh, rebuilt engine. Good luck

Maybe something on very few lists, if you get fully into the bottom end, check the oil feed passage to the distributor/oil pump shank, it's inside the bottom distributor alignment bore.

I had a clogged passage in my 170 that starved the distributor shank that caused it to overheat and crack out the side of the hex bore for the oil pump shaft. Not sure if it's very common, but worth checking, it's a very small passage.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Good suggestions. I'll continue to work with this and update. Good fortune today - I found the guy who's done head work for me in the past. The shop he was at closed, but I stumbled across the place where he's working now. Will get the head to them this week and see where things go from there.

If you are going to change out the Timing Chain and Gears than the 1969 to 1971 250 Set is the best one to use for a little better performance. Some place I did a write up on all the 250 Timing Chain Sets that Ford made for the 250's and their different Gears. Good luck

Update on my project - The machine shop reports that my head has ALOT of miles on it - probably the 57k on the odometer + 100. Some of the valve tips are worn down to the keepers. Same on the rocker tips. Valves are worn well into the seats. So I'm in for a full re-do on the head - seats, guides, valves, rockers. Based on this, I'm also taking the short block in for a full overhaul. Good news is I'll have a new engine when it's all done. They have about 2 months of work in line ahead of me. Plenty of other things on the car to keep me busy in the meantime.

like the attitude. For guides on machining see:
Lot easier than here.
/or/
horrizontal blue line above, tech archive:

Maverick has long been one of my favorites. A complete rebuild is more money buy you will have the satisfaction of a dependable motor.

Back