Kelly Does10's

Okay, a BFG DR is Almost a real slick ;) I would like to know how the suspension is setup, 'cause that car has to hook...

Welcome back from the dark side :D Don't forget about Knotts next weekend if you can make it ,AZCoupe and others will be there.

Well we're back in Tucson. Back to work too. Bummer!
We didn't do any racing yesterday. The wind was suppose to really pick up (and it did!) and we're were going to have to pay another $50 to race again. So I guess we're just cheap! :D And to tell you the truth, I think it would've been a little anti-climatic after the Saturday event!
Anyway onto the meat.....
Friday night, Speedworld held a Test-n-Tune, so we put in a two runs. I wanted to just try the Oz intake one more time before swapping back to the Hogan. Kelly's passes were a 11.58 and a 11.48. Then we called it a night and tore into the car.
We pulled the Oz 250-2v 4bbl intake and installed the Hogan. I also lowered the jetting in both the primarys and secondaries. Went from 66/90 to 65/86 (pri./sec.). Again this is with E85 fuel.
I left the timing the same. 35* total with a 3/4* per lb. of boost retard. The timing retard "slope" starts at 3500rpm. She's also been leaving the line at 3000RPM now. We've been trying this since the Alum. head swap.

First pass Sat. morning with this tune-up was a flop. The car left just like before with the Hogan. Stumbin' and Bumblin' the first 40' until it really comes up on boost. Then it blew the intake tube off of the carb hat! The carb sits about an inch closer to the shock tower on the Hogan so the coupler tube is just not long enough to hold it. Kelly reported that she saw an quick 17lbs. of boost in first gear. This is normally not the case with the Oz intake. But the Hogan is such a high rpm intake that it doesn't do well at all at low (below 4k or so) rpms.
So back to the pits to swap the intakes.
Second pass.....10.95@124. 18lbs. in high gear. The car went straight, left very hard, 1.65 60' time. This is the reason for the 10 sec. pass. Although she did pick up 4mph over her previous best.

The first round of eliminations.
As you saw with Mike's pic above was Kelly paired up with a Dodge "T-bucket" with a slant 6 in it. I think he was dialed in at 17.94. We slowed Kelly's dial in down to a legal 11.52. So the "bucket" had over a 6 second head start. Kelly left pretty good but I was standing on the starting line and I could hear her tires fighting for traction. Kind of squeaking. Then Kelly grabbed second and the tires fully broke loose and the car made a sudden turn for the center line. She corrected it, but it slide a bit the other direction toward the wall. Kelly wisely lifted and coasted out the rest of the track. She did a very good job to keep the car out of the other lane or the wall. I'm proud of her! Nice driving job Sweetheart!!
The first round of the "Consolation Race" Kelly coasting across the finish line with a 11.97@88 MPH. :shock: I guess she had the guy beat by so much that she lifted around the 1000' mark then hit the brakes. Still doing an 11.97. She ended up winning the "losers bracket".
I'd like to thank Mike,Rich and Bob for all of their support. All three were out there witnessing Kelly make her 10 sec. pass.
And also to Kelly's Father (Ron) and Brother (Brian) for Crew'in for the weekend!
Brian took some pics of the weekend and here's a link to it.
http://photos.msn.com/Slideshow/Vie...GIGhKPWRvXLqz1ABZId8hMFNJ*FklpIeLke4$&index=0
You can also see some pics of some other FordSix members. Gene and his Red Maverick and AZstang66's very yellow '66 'Stang. Thanks guys for coming out! It was very good to met both of you!
Sorry for the long post, but we had a exciting weekend!
Later,
Will
Wi

Bort62":5plzoefx said:
shmoozo":5plzoefx said:
Beating a blown V8 powered Deuce coupe hot rod while driving a 6 cylinder Falcon after giving the Deuce coupe driver a 5 second lead (?!!)

-- Freakin' priceless !!!

:)

Congratulations!

Well, it was only a flathead...

True, but it was a blown flathead, and we're talking about a 5 second head start in a race that's going to last all of maybe 16 seconds or so, for goodness sakes.

I mean, geeze ...

Truthfully, I find this motor and car very impressive. AFAIK, it's not actually that radical of a build, but is putting down some very radical numbers.

I think we're all more than a little bit impressed at this point. The truly amazing thing is that they've got the car running that quick already. I mean, seriously, this is a brand new head, right? That means they've got to sort through cam selection, fuel metering, etc., and I have to believe that they still have at least a few months of experimentation and tuning ahead of them to get the thing running at its full potential.

There aren't a whole lot of legitimate streetable 10 second V8 cars out there, muchless sixes.

Yeah, that's the thing that really blows my mind. And geeze, it's not even a really big or high-tech six! It's just a little pushrod 250, for crying out loud!

Imagine what it must feel like for a guy with a V8 to get beaten by a six cylinder Falcon after the Falcon driver gave you a 5 second head start. I bet his friends gave him a ribbing he'll never forget.

:LOL:

Well, it just goes to show that you can make anything fast with boost :)

As far as the flatheads - blown or otherwise doesnt really matter. If you think we are polishing turds, take a look at the flattie guys.

Heads, Cam, intake, headers, full tilt engine in a 2000 lb roadster - 14.8 1/4's... lol

Will forgot to mention one other thing. During the Friday night runs, he could hear the motor cutting out on the top end. So he pulled the MSD 6K rev limiter chip and popped in a 7K chip. Problem cured, rpms higher thru the traps, and maybe another reason for the TEN second blast. ;)

Oh ya I did forget that! But that would only help the MPH in this case.
We pick up 4mph over her previous best.

Although I'm not convinced that we're turning that kind of RPM.
I show that a 26" tall tire and 3.50:1 gears we should be turning 132mph at only 6000rpms.
But according to our Innovate wide band O2 datalogger, it shows that we're going thru the traps at 6600 rpm.

I wonder if our torque converter is junk!

Hmmmm....interesting!
Will

Excellent 8) . Excellent 8) . Excellent (y) . Glad ya managed to keep 'er out of that 'wall Kelly 8) . Way to go,gang. Have a bowl of Cheeze-It's on ME :LOL: (y) (y) . ~OO6.

Does10s":1k0yiao5 said:

I show that a 26" tall tire and 3.50:1 gears we should be turning 132mph at only 6000rpms.
But according to our Innovate wide band O2 datalogger, it shows that we're going thru the traps at 6600 rpm.

Hmmmm....interesting!
Will

Will,my converter in the model T is a fairly loose unit....and it has nearly 15% slippage at the top end. That's a lot-and many will say it's way too much....but sometimes (and your application may be one of those times) you have to live with slip on top under power (18 psi boost in your case!) to get the stall you need at the launch.In my case I use the extra stall to let the engine flash higher at launch so I can cut a light without going red....you need the stall to get spool. So the converter may be fine,just the way it has to be for the duty it has to do. We need a lock-up converter in high gear....... 8)
BTW.....Great Job on the 10.95 pass!

Terry

Does10s":ot8sxf4n said:

Maybe it wasn't until after Kelly used her right foot to introduce it to the new head.

Kelly's right foot -- "Torque converter, meet the new head. New head, this is the torque converter. I hope you two are going to be very good friends."

New head -- "You want me to be friends with that wimp?! Forget that, baby, he's going to be my [inappropriate language deleted]!!"

Torque converter -- "oh, [expletive deleted]. This is going to hurt."

A lockup converter is pretty useful in this situation, Was the C4 ever avaliable with lockup? Turbo GN guys have found a couple .1's by setting up a manual lockup switch on those cars.

Also, a high quality converter will make a big difference over a POS TCI or something.

What are you running ?

Bort62":2wxu0myl said:
Also, a high quality converter will make a big difference over a POS TCI or something.

What are you running ?

We currently have an off the shelf Hughes 3500. It came with a beat up C4 that I bought about 5 yrs. ago. I have no idea how many passes it has.
I've been told by a bunch of people that I respect on this matter, to pull that thing and get a "good" one.
So the next time I've got the tranny (or motor) out I'll try another one. I do have a custom TCS 4500 one that came out of my ol' '86 Stang that I'll probably try.
Later,
Will

Well, I don't know if I fall into the respect catagory or not, but I would definately suggest swapping it out for another.

You should really take a look at what your HP curve looks like and pick a stall speed based on that. 4500 Might be a little high for that motor.

I highly recommend precision industries.

8)

Well Done!!!

Congrats.

If I may ask what does the Falcon weigh in at?

As for TCI being crap what is considered a good brand? I just put a TCI Breakout in my '86 LX 5.0L

Well, I am hardly an expert on such things, but - if your converter only costs like 2-300 bucks like the TCI or Hughes units do, it's probably not that great.

There is a reason the Precision industries and the like are 700$ +

It's an efficiency thing. It is pretty easy to re-work a stock style converter to stall at a higher RPM. It is a different story to design a new converter from the ground up to stall at a higher RPM as well as minimize losses once engaged.

The cheepo units are basically just re-worked stock converters. They will help vs a stock converter, but you are leaving a lot on the table.

Think of it as going down the track with your clutch slipping the whole way.

Back