All Small Six Manifold Vacuum Source Needed

This relates to all small sixes

cwbrick

I'm new to the world of Ford 6 cylinder engines. I'm currently working on the Autolite 1100 carb on a 1968 200 CI engine that is installed in a '64 1/2 Mustang. The carb is a non-SCV version that has the ported vacuum location (above the throttle plate) for distributor vacuum. The current distributor in the engine is apparently the older Load-O-Matic type that will be replaced with a '68 and later Cardone centrifugal/vacuum advance model (single vacuum nipple) in the immediate future. I've rebuilt the carb and it's ready to go back on the engine. When the new distributor arrives, I'll hook the vacuum line from the distributor's vacuum canister to the rebuilt carb's ported vacuum attachment point to begin the tuning process. In anticipation of the new distributor going in, I've drilled/tapped/plugged the very small venturi vacuum source hole with a short #6-32 set screw to close off that small potential vacuum leak. At some point, I would like to try connecting the new distributor to a full manifold vacuum source to have the engine tell me if it likes full or ported distributor vacuum for overall drivability, but the only vacuum source that exists on this engine/carb combination is the 3/8" nipple for the PCV hose on the carb's adapter plate -- the plate that has the heater hose in/out fittings. What would be the best way to add a manifold vacuum source/fitting to either the carb flange or the carb adapter plate? The car has a manual trans, and non-power brakes (no booster). I did see a rather large slotted head fastener/plug of some sort in the passenger side of the log intake near the carb mounting location. If this screw/plug is not frozen in place and I'm able to remove it, is that threaded hole a pipe thread or a straight thread? If it's a pipe thread, I could easily thread in pipe thread fittings to get to a 3/16" nipple for a vacuum hose. Or is this location too close to exhaust heat to serve as a reliable manifold vacuum source for the distributor? Or is there a better location or way to add a manifold vacuum nipple into this system? Thanks a bunch!
Chuck

Chuck, with a stock engine you might be better with ported vacuum.
The Cardone distributor needs to recurved, since the settings are way off.
You should have purchased one of my custom recurved DS11 distributors or have me recurve yours if its a points distributor. Bill

Back