All Small Six No fuel after carb replacement

This relates to all small sixes

64merc170

Hi all,
I got my first ever project car a few weeks ago, a 64 comet with the 170 I6 and three on the tree. When I purchased it ran and drove, but had a big hole in the exhaust manifold and after I got it home I discovered a small fuel leak in the top of the carb (autolite 1100)

I replaced the carb (got a reman from carburetorcentral.com) and exhaust manifold, but once I went to fire it up I was not getting fuel.
To troubleshoot, I first pulled the fuel line off of the carb and stuck it in a bottle and cranked it for a while-no fuel.
Next I took the fuel line off of the pump and put a line from a gas can to the pump- still no fuel, so I can assume it’s not a clogged pickup in the tank.
I have ordered a new pump, but I’m curious if anyone could have an idea why the previously working pump decided to quit as soon as I installed a new carb, or if I am misdiagnosing?
Thanks

The Pump might of dried up todays Blended Fuels are rough to keep from evaporating as well as keeping them fresh. If you have a Pump type Oil Can or a Squeez Bottle try pumping some Fresh Gas into the Fuel Pump Inlet to prime it. Good luck.

Have you checked the fuel line between the tank and the pump for blockages? I'm assuming you have fuel in the tank, so disconnect the inlet line from the pump and see what comes out. Remove the fuel cap, and have a helper listen for "bubbles" as you apply low pressure compressed air to the line where you disconnected it from the pump. Old gas will sometimes turn to varnish, and gum up a fuel line. If nothing is heard, disconnect the line from the tank and try again. You can isolate any blockages this way. You may have to "up the pressure" to clear the line, or pull the tank and remove the sending unit and strainer to find the exact cause. This will also be a good time to clean out the tank, saving you lots of trouble down the road. Not much worse than picking up a lot of gunk, clogging the filter, and being "Found On the Road Dead". Always carry a fresh in-line filter in the vehicle with you after these tank cleanings, they can save you if the old one clogs.

Have you checked the fuel line between the tank and the pump for blockages? I'm assuming you have fuel in the tank, so disconnect the inlet line from the pump and see what comes out. Remove the fuel cap, and have a helper listen for "bubbles" as you apply low pressure compressed air to the line where you disconnected it from the pump. Old gas will sometimes turn to varnish, and gum up a fuel line. If nothing is heard, disconnect the line from the tank and try again. You can isolate any blockages this way. You may have to "up the pressure" to clear the line, or pull the tank and remove the sending unit and strainer to find the exact cause. This will also be a good time to clean out the tank, saving you lots of trouble down the road. Not much worse than picking up a lot of gunk, clogging the filter, and being "Found On the Road Dead". Always carry a fresh in-line filter in the vehicle with you after these tank cleanings, they can save you if the old one clogs.
Hey Jeff, I did resolve this issue by replacing the fuel pump- I believe the diaphragm was already weak and must have failed after being dried out for a couple weeks. Now it’s running strong again and starting first crank

Hey Jeff, I did resolve this issue by replacing the fuel pump- I believe the diaphragm was already weak and must have failed after being dried out for a couple weeks. Now it’s running strong again and starting first crank
I posted my reply before I read your original carefully. When I read the original again, I saw how you bypassed the tank and line with a gas can, so I tried to delete my reply. Not fast enough, I guess. Glad you have it running, though, if it has been sitting for an extended period, carrying an extra filter might keep you from being towed home. I guess the diaphragm in the old pump had dried out, and when you started running it again, maybe it was just too much, making it tear? You'd have to disassemble the old pump if you really wanted to solve the mystery. I had a '65 four door back in my 20's, would love to have it back.

That's good news! And a good catch- sometimes the diaphragms rupture and gas up the oil. Last F100 I bought the PO was on the brink of ruining the engine with gas in the oil from a bad FP.

Back