oil pressure

A

Anonymous

my buddies 250 6 cyl
what could it be if i get no oil pressure at the sending unit? brand new oil pump (could be a manufacturer's defect) what else could it be. i tested my guage by hooking it to my air compressor @ 60 psi. the guage reads 58-59 psi. i know its not the guage. i used new copper line to the guage and tried the plastic line after the copper line seemed not to work. with the car running the guage reads 0 psi on both tested guages (have 2 checked 2) on both types of line. the oil pump drive (kindergarden fat pencil lookin' thing) is brand new. we spun it with a socket on a drill. shot oil up through the distributor hole all over my buddy. it pumps oil out of the sending unit hole when the sending unit is removed. it doesn't seem like 60 psi though. any suggestions?
we also tried to diagnose the oil "idiot-light" we hooked up a test light and bridged the wire to ground. the test light glows but the oil light stays off. we hooked a multimeter to see if it varies the resistance based on pressure but the ohm meter never swayed. we tried all of this with the key in the off, start, and run positions. no oil light. my guess is that bad boy's flat burnt out. any other suggestions?
there was a plug in the back of the motor. when we first started the motor a couple of months ago, we pumped a whole bunch of oil out on the ground and had to take the motor out to find the leak. there is an access hole between the flexplate and the block. we plugged it and put the motor back in the car. now there isn't any oil leaking out of the motor. as for the oil coming out of the distributor hole, im not sure. i wasn't in the garage for that part. i'll ask my buddy again. i was thinking about taking the valve cover off and letting the motor run for a minute or two. if i get an oil shower, i can guess its oiling. the fact that i cant get an oil pressure reading from the sending unit hole is quite concerning.
any help is greatly appreciated

someone in another forum asked about a gasket between the oilpump and the block. my gasket set didn't come with one. i thought that since they were both machined surfaces, that it didn't need a gasket. it did come with a gasket that goes between the pick up tube and the oil pump. i know for a fact that we did not use a gasket between the pump and the block, is that the problem? am i that scatter-brained?

I did the same thing, hooked up a mech oil psi gauge to where the sending unit was and I get 0 PSI, checked another gauge also because I have 2 and yet again NOTHING. I also just swapped in a 200 out of a 68 mustang hooked up the gauge and nothing. My $.02 are telling me its just not a good spot to tap the gauge into.

I had an intermittent oil pressure drop. There was only one gasket in my oil pump kit so I made one out of gasket material and hooked it all up. Started fine but when I went out on the road the pressure dropped to zero and the rockers started clattering like a paint stick stirring an empty bucket.
The drive rod was rounded on one end, the edges of the the flat spots were worn and eventually it either spun in the dist shaft hole, dropped down from the dist socket and wasn't driven or it stopped all together. I wonder if your pump is just not making pressure for some reason. I eventually got a whole new engine, but the dist shaft is the same and I have no problem. (I didn't change the engine just because of the oil pump.)

ludwig":3eqff7gh said:
(I didn't change the engine just because of the oil pump.)
i might :roll:
i used a new distributor/oil pump drive shaft (the kindergarden fat pencil looking thing). on my v8 there is a ring that goes around the shaft. i guess it holds that shaft up a little bit, but this shaft didn't have that ring on it when we took out the old one. the top of the shaft lines up with the flat place under the distributor. is it supposed to stick up out of that hole at all? if so, how far? any suggestions?

You didn't state where you plumbed the line to on the engine. Did you Tee into the stock sending unit location? Where are you plumbed to? If the gauge tests ok, did you look at the plastic line to see if it was filling with oil? If it isn't then you are not plumbed correctly. That would be the first place I look.

Bill

I've only got one bullet in my belt. Mustang Six has more than me. I do know that that little ring on the V8 pump is not neccessary on the 6 pump. I know because I went back and got one and it made the pump not fit.

also i've checked to make sure the plastic line is clean, it fills with oil only about 6 inches from where it is plumbed into the stock oil psi sending unit location. I've been driving for almost 5 months now everyday with my car, so I know theres oil pressure.

You could try a low pressure gauge like a fuel pressure gauge 0-15psi
I have been told it only take sometimes as little as 3psi to shut off a idiot light.

The only thing I can think of would be a physical blockage to that sending unit port. Maybe a peice of crud worked it's way loose inside the block and is blocking the passage somehow. Try taking an airhose, and running some pressure into the block where the sending unit goes. If there is a blockage that could possibly work it loose.

Good Luck!
Bill

yesterday, we dropped the oil pan and found something quite disturbing. one of the oil pump bolts that keeps the oil pump against the block had worked its way loose. internal bleeding is our best guess at why there was no oil pressure. we made a gasket and reinstalled the oilpump using locktight on the bolts. its supposed to get up to 65 degrees today. that should make the blue goo set up a little quicker when we put the pan back on this afternoon.

bolted everything back up with a new oil pump and gasket. still 0psi on the gague. help. please.
signed,
me

Wile:
was this a rebuild job?

When the engine shop put my new cam bearings in, they turned the one at the back of the block about 1/4". It blocked all oil to the upper end of the engine. Fortunately, I caught it when spinning the pump with an electric drill on that 'kindergarten pencil' to test-oil the system before firing it up - boy, was I glad I did! Had to re-pull the engine, though :cry: .

The oil PSI switch should read as a dead short with no oil pressure (that's for idiot lite systems). The Ford electric oil PSI gauge units vary from 25 to 200 ohms on the ones I've tested. The dashboard INSTRUMENT fuse supplies power to the oil idiot lite, and it's return path is through the oil PSI switch to ground (when no pressure) to light it up.

Specification pressure for the oil PSI switch is: 6 PSI or more will open the switch (lite goes off). Once open, the PSI must drop below 3 PSI to close the switch again (lite on). This 'deadband' of 3 PSI is called the 'hysteresis' value of the switch.

yes this is a rebuild. new cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, valves, springs, retainers, oil pump drive rod, and oil pump(s) (i tried 2 different new pumps).
has anyone ever gotten a 60 psi reading from the hole on the side of the block? is it even supposed to have 60 psi at that hole?
i was thinking about putting the idiot light back together. i was going to make/buy a spacer plate to go between the block and the filter. i was going to tap into the spacer to get a reading there with a gague as well as leaving the stock idiot light operational in its stock configuration.
comments? suggestions?
:cry:

i need to know the same thing. i have one of those 3 guage setups i plan to install this weekend. where do you take off the oil pressure? i had planned to take it off at the switch myself....with a tee. anyne got good feedback on this?

I had the same problem after I got my engine back from the rebuilder. I used the electric drill to spin the oil pump and I got oil flowing up to the rockers but couldn't get any pressure on the guage. The problem was that the rebuilder did not put in the 1/4" oil galley plug in the front of the engine. After I put the plug in every thing was fine.

PLP6400":2yb2dl0f said:
I had the same problem after I got my engine back from the rebuilder. I used the electric drill to spin the oil pump and I got oil flowing up to the rockers but couldn't get any pressure on the guage. The problem was that the rebuilder did not put in the 1/4" oil galley plug in the front of the engine. After I put the plug in every thing was fine.

whoa whoa whoa.... what 1/4" oil galley hole in the front of the engine? can you show me a picture. if you are right, you just made my day. if not im gonna have to add you to "my list of people to kill" :LOL: jk
seriously though, if you have a picture or a schematic or can even tell me exactly where it is, that'll be the first thing i check. thanks

if i understand correctly (i may be wrong), the oil galley is behind the timing gear cover. the oil is just spurting out into the timing gear cover and draining back into the pan. am i right?

Back