All Small Six Rear main seal leak?

This relates to all small sixes
HI wakjob, all I can say is that your Manual isn't correct on that statement. I and many many others have done it many times over years with both the rope and neoprene type seals as an example I did my first one like that in the mid 1960's. They can be installed with the engine still bolted in the chassis and without compleatly removing the crankshaft there is even a special tool made to remove and install the rope seals and the neoprene seal can also be very easy. Best of luck
Yes it can - now you might have to loosen all the main cap bolts to let the crank drop a smidge but it can be done and you will have to rotate the crank to help pull it in.

not sure if the ford is different but on some engines there gets to be a little shaft wear from the neoprene seal and sometimes you can adjust the position laterally along the shaft so the seal can use a new portion of the shaft to seal against , if there is a little wear there. perhaps a different thickness of gasket , or similar. In the particular case of the ford Im not sure if that would affect anythign ese. in old Volvos the older ones used a felt seal for the front of the crank and later ones used a neoprene seal so some like to machine the aluminum housing to make the newer style seal fit it.

Back