All Small Six serpentine belt conversions?

This relates to all small sixes

bmbm40

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
Any one researching serpentine belt conversion for 250/200? I seem to recall a possible kit or components in the planning from Vintage Inlines? I can see an advantage of carrying one replacement belt in vehicle, plus it would look cool. Many different vehicle accessory configs involved of course, I have power steering and want to go to a 90 amp alt (should work fine with single v-belt), others may not have power steering or might have ac or both. At this time I would be interested in the 250 serpentine options for my Bronco but interested in 200 options also. Thanks.

There are a couple crank options on the 300 that might work for the 250. I'd start there and fab the rest to align with it. Beware there is another part number that has less stub which most likely would hit pan flange. Screenshot_2023-01-31-11-51-52.pngScreenshot_2023-01-31-12-03-29.png

Last edited:
You will need a belt routing to maintain standard water pump rotation. I would look into the later ranger pulley.Screenshot_2023-01-31-12-56-56.png

Australian SOHC sixes have this polyvee drive with 6pk belts, these balancers will aparantly fit th earlier sixes, hers is the EL falcon model, cant help with water pump pulleys, ours run on th back of the belt and are pressed on so thats no help for you. You could considerr a Davies Craig electric water pump and do away with the belt drive pump altogether, Ive done this.

The back of the belt. So the WP is opposite rotating to the crank ?
Yep, but depending on the shape of the impellor vanes, it might not matter. If the vanes are straight, it doesnt matter, if curve, it does. These pumps are terribly inefficient, the EWP is much better. The SOHC engine moved the water pump on the front of the block. Heres a piccie that will help, this is the green top LPG engine, the power steering pump and alternator are missing.
1075715_1.jpg

Hey thanks everyone for the info on this. The 90 amp alt will have the serpentine type pulley and the plan is to upgrade from the current old style Thompson ps pump to the newer Saginaw type? ps pump so serpentine pulley to fit that is available. I believe there will need to be a tensioning pulley in here somewhere. Maybe someone will provide info on the 300 balancer fitment on a 250.
I would be glad to get rid of the water pump. An electric would require me to carry a spare because the Bronco can and frequently has taken me many miles from a paved road in northern NV but I will look into electric pumps as it would make for a simpler conversion. Since the electric is more efficient it could help to flow more water while creeping along a difficult dirt road on a hot day.

Yep, but depending on the shape of the impellor vanes, it might not matter. If the vanes are straight, it doesnt matter, if curve, it does. These pumps are terribly inefficient, the EWP is much better. The SOHC engine moved the water pump on the front of the block. Heres a piccie that will help, this is the green top LPG engine, the power steering pump and alternator are missing.
Thanks- and that's a sharp looking engine also. like that exhaust manifold. . Understand about the straight blades/rotation. The real reason for asking, if the Aussi engine pump fit his US block, then the serpentine conversion rotation problem could be solved. Or if the stock pump is straight-blade.

Last edited:
I see how that works so a couple of idlers are required. That might not be easy to source or adapt. I found info on electric wp and also a Flowkooler mechanical wp if any one is interested.
Bottom line on WP rotation: if the inside of the belt is driving it, standard rotation. Back of belt driving it, opposite rotation. . (for visualizing purposes in creating routing fabrication)

They also sell the pumps only. A few big 6 guys have used these, say they're great, and bulletproof.
I have one on my crossflow, I got rid of belt driven unit altogether, my pump has to run all the time (LPG) and so far Ive done 5000km without any issues, reports are generally good, I doubt you would need a spare. They draw about 6a when running. I think DC has agents in the USA. This is my pump, its fully below the radiator so always flooded, its the 115litre unit which keeps up well, there is one bigger.RIMG0166.JPG

Evidently the 300 balancer is unique to the 96 model year. It is narrow to accommodate an exciter ring(I plan on 36-1 trigger there). I don't have a 250 balancer on hand to measure. Here is the specs I can glean.Screenshot_2023-01-31-18-12-44.png

Thanks- and that's a sharp looking engine also. like that exhaust manifold. . Understand about the straight blades/rotation. The real reason for asking, if the Aussi engine pump fit his US block, then the serpentine conversion rotation problem could be solved. Or if the stock pump is straight-blade.
It doubt it would fit. EWP solves all the problems.

Has anybody actually installed a 300 harmonic balancer on a 250?
I attempted it with a v-groove harmonic balancer and the "snout" that sticks into the timing cover was far too short.
To use the harmonic balancer that I have with the 250, I think I'd need a spacer that would go between the harmonic balancer and the front/leading edge of the crank. Without the spacer, I am certain that the balancer would eventually walk rearward into the timing cover.

You need to measure from the face of timing cover to the crank gear. Then measure balancer. You can fine tune spacing with shims, but seal needs to ride on damperScreenshot_2023-02-06-21-48-11.pngScreenshot_2023-02-06-21-48-11.pngScreenshot_2023-02-06-21-48-20.png

Back