All Small Six Sniper EFI for a 250

This relates to all small sixes

Clutch

Hi guys. I am at a bit of a crossroads on my engine build for my '62 Fairlane and could use some advise. I just got my short block from the machine shop. I has a a 265/275-110* cam, around 9.25 to 1 compression, will be mated to a T5 and 3.50 rear, HEI distro, Clifford headers and probably 2.25 dual exhaust. I have a large log head that has been rebuilt with big valves that I was going to modify for a Holley 2v. But now I think I want it run a Holley Sniper EFI. My question is; should I just bolt on the 1100 version and go or should I modify the head and go with the 2300? If I was building a 200 I am sure I would go with the 1v 1100, but maybe that would be under carbureted for the 250? It is rated for up to 175hp and I don't expect to have any more than that. I really like the idea of not altering the head, not to mention paying the machine shop and waiting weeks. I am not wanting an engine for racing or even hot rodding around, just want a reliable cruiser that runs great and is fun to drive for use on a regular basis. I am thinking the 1100 will be more than enough for what I want out of the car, but I want to make sure I won't be short changing my engine. I really just want to get it together and cruising again and not going broke doing it. I look forward to you guy's thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, Your right the 1100 Sniper version will work good but the way you have assembled / built your 250 I am thinking you will be giving up a lot. The 2V carb swaps are an excellent performance improvement for most any six especially one that's been moded like yours. One site member is using the 2300 on his 200 six and really likes its power output. I understand you not wanting to wait a long time for having the direct mount to be performed thought it will give the best performance increase, yet there is another way that is still good and much faster to do use a 2V to 1V carb adapter. Optionally you can also improve the flow going into the log lots more if you wanted by grinding the carb hole opening out to a 2 to 2 1/8 inch size (also open up the carb adapter to match the bigger log opening). You can then go further by doing a radius on the bottom side of the carb hole of an 1/ 8 inch or more going into the log all around but maybe use even a little larger radius of 3/16 inch or more to help short turn flow going into the logs long sides this is going flow better into the front and rear sections of the log. You could do these simple mod's yourself at very little cost with a die grinder (the best way) or even with a drill and a grinding stone before head is assembled, or even if the head is already assembled stuff some rags or news papers into the log part way and center ports or tape them off with duck tape, to keep most of the grinding dust from getting into the head ports then use a shop vacume to clean it out. So what ever you decide 1100 or 2300 I think your going to be really happy with the Snper system. Best of luck

Back