All Small Six Stock Camshafts, Which Era Is Best?

This relates to all small sixes

TrickSix

I have a mostly stock 200 and a stock C4 automatic transmission in my car, and that's not going to change. (For now...) So my 200 probably never gets much above 4,000 rpm no matter what. So an aftermarket camshaft isn't going to do a lot for me. Plus with all the complaints about poor quality steel in new cams and lifters I think I'd rather buy a NOS older cam anyway. I'm just wondering which of the stock camshafts is favored around here. The Falcon Six book recommends the later ones.

Hi, I favor the RV type cams. The stock cams are a compromise for smooth performance and economy. I picked the milder Comp Cams camshaft for my Bronco. Some guys here thought that this cam was too mild, but I am very happy with it. My engine idles like stock, and pulls strong to over 4,000 RPM. With the old (rebuilt) 170 the gas pedal was always on the floor. Now with my warmed up 200, with a 2 barrel I have more power at part throttle, and the gas pedal only goes to the floor for fun. Good luck

I have a mostly stock 200 and a stock C4 automatic transmission in my car, and that's not going to change. (For now...) So my 200 probably never gets much above 4,000 rpm no matter what. So an aftermarket camshaft isn't going to do a lot for me. Plus with all the complaints about poor quality steel in new cams and lifters I think I'd rather buy a NOS older cam anyway. I'm just wondering which of the stock camshafts is favored around here. The Falcon Six book recommends the later ones.
Yes for sure the later Camshafts are much better than any of the earlier Cams where. You are in luck 78_200_C4 made a post awhile back on those better Camshafts and their specs, here is the link to to his post. https://fordsix.com/threads/1973-200-ci-256-degree-stock-cam.83270/#post-660421

"...never gets much above 4,000 rpm no matter what. So an aftermarket camshaft isn't going to do a lot ..."
every modern cam grind has advantage thru out the RPM, remember it's ground ona circle or cam (lobe)

"...what is favored round here..."
every vehicle here (it seems, cept for the all out racers) hasa different app. What is ur application?

motors are built around their cam (and the exact app).
falcon-six-cylinder-performance-handbook

Your RPM may be limited by a low cfm small log type carb., a Load'O'Matic distributor and or an early round muffler with a small outlet.
The ENGINETECH ES658 256 large log cam is out of stock at Rockauto.
The MELLING FOV9 256 cam is also out of stock.
You may find a large log head 256 cam on eBay.
I have wound my 78 200 to 5,300 in low with a stock large log 256 Enginetech cam, 68+ 2" outlet exhaust manifold, HEI distributor + a turbo muffler.

Thanks for the eBay tip. I didn't see that one. But I just bought a NOS TM 592 there, which is supposedly an equivalent part #, for a little less money. Just in case. Looks like NOS lifters will be harder to find.

i like sealed power (if not ordered w/the cam) or what comes w/the cam.

Back