Turbo setup with offy tri power?

My Dream

Hello every one, I am new to this forum and thought I could gain some knowledge regarding my idea to turbo my 1965 mustang 200 with an Offinhouser tripple webber carb setup.

I have stock rods with ARP rod bolts,
Stock pistons,
Stock crank,
The rotating assembly has been ballenced,
I have a mechanical advance Mallory ellectronic distributor w/coil,
Clifford port devider,
Clifford 6 to 1 header,
Rhodes variable bleed lifters,
Dual valve springs with titanuim retainers,
Hardened valve seats,
Clifford 272 Cam,
Electronic fuel pump,
Electric fan,

IMGP1206.jpg

IMGP1201.jpg

IMGP1350.jpg

I know I would need to probably fab my own exhuast manifold, but what kind of turbo would I need? I don't want massive power and lots of "lag", I want fast response, with good power. Any ideas?

James

a member on here by the name of hasa68mustang made a manifold and used an IHI turbo off a ford probe(i think) and he reported great gains and almost no turbo lag

ill try to find some of the videos of his car with the IHI turbo on it

You can run a turbo on 3 carbs. Whether it is even approximately worth the effot is entirely a different matter.

Do you mean a progressive linkage on 3 1V carbs? I'm not sure how the whole progressive thing would work with a turbo. I suspect rather badly. There really is very little, if any, reason to combine the 3 x1V system with a turbo. It would be quite complex to say the least and complexity is usually bad.

The probe turbo was mine, I have a hard enough time getting my 1 carb tuned so I would assume getting 3 to run well would be HARD.

You are both absolutely correct, I am sure it will be very hard. I just want to have something really different, good looking, and fast!

The car primarily runs on the center carb ( during this time thier really wouldnt be enough of a load to creat boost with the turbo) then when you floor it the outer two carbs would open up. I have a carb syncronizer, so all three carbs are tuned pretty good, I am really concerned about hood clearance and creating a piping network to go from the turbo to all three carbs. I know it will be hard, but I just have to try it. With all the know how and experiance on here (you guys) I figure that between all of us and a few good ideas, I could make it happen.

James

My Dream":2vbg566n said:
I will have to do a lot of research for this project.

Did you read the FAQ above?

StrangeRanger":2vbg566n said:
You can run a turbo on 3 carbs. Whether it is even approximately worth the effort is entirely a different matter.

All three carbs would need to be modified for blow through use.

Linc's 200, What needs to be done to the carbs for blow through use? I have been slowly going through the FAQ thread, good info.

James

mustube":o3rvo5j9 said:
http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html
That's where he told me to look to see what needs to be done...

Thanks, that gives me a few ideas.

James

I would think it would work OK. Like Linc's said you'll have to modify all three carbs for blow-thru application, but once that's done and you have your fuel system up to the task, then it should work.

Good luck with it!
Keep us posted!
Later,
Will

Carb tuning/balancing aside, you might find it easier to include an air/air intercooler mounted in the nose of the car for the plumbing. That way your compressed charge would come off the turbo, head towards the bumper on the passenger side, across the front, and back into the engine bay on the driver side where the piping can be split into three runs to the individual carb hats.

On a side note, if you wanted to be really different, you could run fuel injection using the same basic setup except with a single throttlebody between the intercooler and the 3-way split.

or he could make a plenum with an cutout for each carb so the boost could go in that way

i know it sounds weird but ive seen a pic of what im describing here on this site somewhere

Mustang Boy":3m1e71qx said:
or he could make a plenum with an cutout for each carb so the boost could go in that way

i know it sounds weird but ive seen a pic of what im describing here on this site somewhere

It would be like the one for triple Weber TB's, except not sideways.

I have decided to go with a pull through set up rather than a blow through. I wont have any hood clearance issues as I can mount the carbs off to the side just above the turbo by creating my own plumbing, then plum up from the turbo to the three holes in the log. Rather than a progresive linkage I will set them to all operate equally. I am going to go with a stock exhuast manifold to save room, this will simplify the piping to the turbo rather than 6 tubes clutering up space. I will be able to use my carb syncronizer, to sync all three, and utilize my existing filters. I have access to all kinds of scrap iron/steel, a tubing bender, welder.....so it shouldnt be to much of a hassle to fab the ducting. Now I just need to choose a turbo.

James

My Dream":xz6eb1dw said:
I have decided to go with a pull through set up rather than a blow through. I wont have any hood clearance issues as I can mount the carbs off to the side just above the turbo by creating my own plumbing, then plum up from the turbo to the three holes in the log. Rather than a progresive linkage I will set them to all operate equally. I am going to go with a stock exhuast manifold to save room, this will simplify the piping to the turbo rather than 6 tubes clutering up space. I will be able to use my carb syncronizer, to sync all three, and utilize my existing filters. I have access to all kinds of scrap iron/steel, a tubing bender, welder.....so it shouldnt be to much of a hassle to fab the ducting. Now I just need to choose a turbo.

James

Um ... am I the only person reading along here who is thinking that it might make more sense to ditch the three one barrel carbs and find a single large two barrel or small 4 barrel carb of the appropriate size to use on the drawn-thru mode turbo setup?

:unsure:: :unsure:: :unsure::

shmoozo":vds0a9zy said:
Um ... am I the only person reading along here who is thinking that it might make more sense to ditch the three one barrel carbs and find a single large two barrel or small 4 barrel carb of the appropriate size to use on the drawn-thru mode turbo setup?

:unsure:: :unsure:: :unsure::

No. Doing a tri-carb draw through setup is crazy.

A tri-carb blow through is bad enough as it is.

You are going to spend a ton of time and money getting all that crap connected together, and at the end you are going to be disappointed by mediocre performance. Not to mention have a cluster of junk inside your engine bay that looks like hell.

Back