Turbo setup with offy tri power?

My Dream":2vf5ugb1 said:
I can mount the carbs off to the side just above the turbo .... up from the turbo to the three holes in the log. Rather than a progressive linkage I will set them to all operate equally.

This is a terrible idea. It will cause more tuning headaches than you would ever want to try to eliminate. As soon as one problem was fixed, two more would rear their ugly heads.

You want to get into the mindset of making the installation EASIER to put together and make run, not more complex.

Draw through turbos need special compressor shaft seals to keep the oil from getting sucked out of them.

One reason why no one has given you specific information is the priority you set when you said this:
"I just want to have something really different, good looking, and fast!"

69Falcon":scdbv3j8 said:
On a side note, if you wanted to be really different, you could run fuel injection using the same basic setup except with a single throttlebody between the intercooler and the 3-way split.

sshhh! you're giving away my ideas!!

kitabel":34l3hlsp said:
One reason why no one has given you specific information is the priority you set when you said this:
"I just want to have something really different, good looking, and fast!"

Thier is NO reason why I canot have what I stated. I am here to get contructive criticism.....I am getting a lot of good info here.

James

Bort62":1q5jbvyh said:
shmoozo":1q5jbvyh said:
Um ... am I the only person reading along here who is thinking that it might make more sense to ditch the three one barrel carbs and find a single large two barrel or small 4 barrel carb of the appropriate size to use on the drawn-thru mode turbo setup?

:unsure:: :unsure:: :unsure::

No. Doing a tri-carb draw through setup is crazy.

A tri-carb blow through is bad enough as it is.

You are going to spend a ton of time and money getting all that crap connected together, and at the end you are going to be disappointed by mediocre performance. Not to mention have a cluster of junk inside your engine bay that looks like hell.

a "ton of time and money" is of no concern to me, I have all the time in the world, as for money...I bring in enough to do what I want comfortably. As far as the performance comment you made.....unless you know some one who has worked this tri power turbo project and failed misserably, then I don't think you are speacking of fact here. As for the so called "cluster of junk", that is where you are dead wrong my friend! I'm not using some back yard shady tree mechanic rusty piping, every thing will be of new materials, smooth clean welds, new hoses, chrome piping, and good fitment. I'm not here to do a half ass job. It WILL be perfict, and it will be of show car quality! I will take all the time needed to get the set up to run properly. I may have to change my choice of carbs, jets or whatever the case may be, but I will do it.

I appreciate the comment, and the opinion. All is welcome.

James

Think about what you are proposing:

3 carbs on a fabricated manifold which join together to feed the inlet of a draw through turbo whose fabricated outlet manifold then divides into 3 and feeds the log through the Offy manifold.

You have more than doubled the fabrication work and achieved nothing. The sole reason for running multiple carbs is more equal distribution of the fuel air mixture to all the cylinders. In your case they all feed a single point, the turbo inlet, so you gain nothing but complexity which as I stated before is generally a bad thing. This project made some limited sense as a blow through but it makes none as a draw through.

Also why would you choose a draw through with which you cannot run an intercooler over a blow thru which is readily intercooled?

My Dream":38db2omp said:
I'm not here to do a half ass job. It WILL be perfict, and it will be of show car quality! I will take all the time needed to get the set up to run properly.

This is not intended to be an insult, but in my experience
a show car = undrivable and/or unreliable

My Dream":38db2omp said:
I may have to change my choice of carbs, jets or whatever the case may be, but I will do it.

I suggest you make another choice of carbs.

James, have you seen the Australian Valiant sedan built by Ray Hall Jr?

It used a triple carb manifold on a slant six, triple TBI and a blow-through turbo. Looked fantastic and went like stink.

addo":3vd8qaty said:
James, have you seen the Australian Valiant sedan built by Ray Hall Jr?

It used a triple carb manifold on a slant six, triple TBI and a blow-through turbo. Looked fantastic and went like stink.

I have not seen that, sure sounds interesting. What is he using for a computer to command the injector pulses? Ray Hall Jr, I am going to have to do a search and see what I can find. Thanks.

James

search Ray Hall turbocharging, it's an actual company. Ray Hall Jr, is his son. probably got info on if in there if you look

You need to look at what works and what doesn't. I just finished a turbo install and the KISS principle is really the best to stick to.

If you absolutely need to have a triple carb turbo, you should be doing a blow-thru. Draw thru are a disaster waiting to happen.

Just MHO.

Kirk

There is a simple solution to this problem

If you got triple carbs run triple turbos! (well, the smallest ones you can fit)

There's my idea about this craziness

-Mr.T

if somebody made it work that would be the craziest setup ever. I would shed a tear every time i saw it. Almost as cool as a twin turbo lawn mower would be :p.

Everything can be done with enough money. If you have the money, spend it as you see fit.

Now, it will also be heavier (three small turbos is much heavier than one correct size one) so cost is not the only factor involved....And there is three times as much plumbing, so that all adds weight and complexity, too.

My Dream":16xwrej2 said:
Bort62":16xwrej2 said:
shmoozo":16xwrej2 said:
Um ... am I the only person reading along here who is thinking that it might make more sense to ditch the three one barrel carbs and find a single large two barrel or small 4 barrel carb of the appropriate size to use on the drawn-thru mode turbo setup?

:unsure:: :unsure:: :unsure::

No. Doing a tri-carb draw through setup is crazy.

A tri-carb blow through is bad enough as it is.

You are going to spend a ton of time and money getting all that crap connected together, and at the end you are going to be disappointed by mediocre performance. Not to mention have a cluster of junk inside your engine bay that looks like hell.

a "ton of time and money" is of no concern to me, I have all the time in the world, as for money...I bring in enough to do what I want comfortably. As far as the performance comment you made.....unless you know some one who has worked this tri power turbo project and failed misserably, then I don't think you are speacking of fact here. As for the so called "cluster of junk", that is where you are dead wrong my friend! I'm not using some back yard shady tree mechanic rusty piping, every thing will be of new materials, smooth clean welds, new hoses, chrome piping, and good fitment. I'm not here to do a half ass job. It WILL be perfict, and it will be of show car quality! I will take all the time needed to get the set up to run properly. I may have to change my choice of carbs, jets or whatever the case may be, but I will do it.

I appreciate the comment, and the opinion. All is welcome.

James

Okay, Ill put it this way. If you choose to do a tri carb draw through as you have described, I will bet you 1,000$ that you never get it working properly.

is that an open bet for everyone? because I have enough stuff out in the garage to do it, and could have it running and tuned within 30 days... :shock:

Back