All Small Six Well....I think this means I need to rebuild the head....

This relates to all small sixes

Treozen

Supporter 2022
So, the ...erm...."free" Ranchero continues its streak of somehow costing me more money that I had planned on spending ;-)

When I removed the head, I thought the valves actually looked pretty decent - the carbon / oil / etc on the back of the valve there was the worst of them, most were cleaner.

20221022_162744.jpg20221022_165404.jpg

I removed everything and started cleaning up the head, and since I had the valves out, I decided to lap them before reinstalling. The lapping itself went fine, I even found an old hand crank tool for the job, and I got nice even and clean surfaces on the valve and seat, but.....I can't get number 5 intake or exhaust to seal. I started with #6, that went fine. But #5 fails the water test - it takes perhaps a few minutes, but after filling the chamber, both the exhaust and intake valves leak - and to varying degrees it seems, depending on how the valve is put in. I lapped both valves several times, perhaps some improvement, but overall they both still leak. I am concerned about "over lapping" so I only did three rounds each. Everything looks good in terms of the valve and seat surfaces, but obviously they are not right. I didn't have the springs installed for the leak test, but none of the videos I watched had springs installed, so I doubt that matters.

I am not an expert on heads - frankly I usually just buy a new one - but as far as I am aware, if you can't correct a leaky valve with lapping, you need a machine shop and a rebuild - pretty much your only option - right?

I also found this Remanufactured Cylinder Head for 1969-1974 Ford/Mercury

Its for a 250, has larger chambers (so lower compression) but bigger valves and maybe a larger carb bore - I'd prefer to use the stock 200 head I have, but if I can't get it rebuilt locally, perhaps this is an option .

Last edited:
Yes you would definitely need a good Valve Job done shouldn't be to costly if you have a local shop near you. Depending on the condition of the rest maybe a little more. Just so you know on that later 250 Head it uses the same Valve sizes as your 65 200 head Ford didn't use the larger 1 3/4 inch Intakes until 1977 on the 200's and 250's. Good luck

Yes you would definitely need a good Valve Job done shouldn't be to costly if you have a local shop near you. Depending on the condition of the rest maybe a little more. Just so you know on that later 250 Head it uses the same Valve sizes as your 65 200 head Ford didn't use the larger 1 3/4 inch Intakes until 1977 on the 200's and 250's. Good luck
Well, there are a few shops around, I'll see what sort of backlog they have. I'm really surprised the valves leak as much as they do, at least #5 -I guess I should at least test the rest to see where we are.

Worn valve guides??? Pop the valves up a bit and see if they wiggle.
Not real thrilled about it, BUT in times of low funds I have knurled and then reamed valve guides. 2 or 3 years later they were still tight. A proper valve job by a good shop is a much better idea BUT.

Last edited:
Well, took it to the machine shop today. Everything checked out so far - getting hardened seats, valve job, etc I gave them the seals and springs I want to use, and they'll even paint it blue.

Now would be a good time for 3 angle valve work and port/polish if you are so inclined.

Back