Well, it's all ordered

60s Refugee

Hi All,

I'm sure most of you recognize my user name by now. I've been burning up these threads for weeks trying to get a brain full of the best information. Tonight I put my order in to Classic Inlines for the remaining parts I needed to do my tri-power set up. I already had the head with the log converted to three carbs. It had the carbs too, and had been polished and milled. Tonights order included the larger valves which will go to the machine shop along with the head when the parts arrive. I will use the rebuilt Autolite 1100 that's on the car right now and use the two Holley 1920's on each end.

The engine is a Jasper Remanfactured 200. I've put 28,000 miles on it since the restoration. I will leave the existing pistons and crank in place. I'll also keep the lifters. I have shorter pushrods that came with the head. I trust the cam bearings will work for the new cam.

I decided upon dual exhaust running through the rear valance, ala GT. I ordered a long tube dual header with the Jet Hot silver treatment. I'll use the OEM 289 V8 dual exhaust with resonators, and these will be done by a local muffler shop.

I ordered the dual roller chain set, a 264/274 hydraulic cam, the cast valve cover with polished fins (I'll paint it Ford red-orange), and probably the most important thing, the Falcon performance book!

I won't attempt the shift kit/torque converter thing. I'll let my friendly local tranny shop do that. I might just wait until I blow the rear end before I do anything to it.

I hope to have all this stuff in place for the first car show this summer. Of course, I'll post pics!

I want to thank all of you who responded. Everything that was suggested has been carefully considered. If I was a pest, I apologize, but I never built a six before, and it has been nearly 40 years since I shoved a cam in a 289 out in my driveway. I had my dad to help then, and after all these years I still miss his educational bitching. He once raced on the same track with Barney Oldfield, they called 'em "roaring roadsters" back then. Without him having taught me body work and wrench pulling I'd never have been able to do this at all. Even worse than that, I might have become a GM nut by accident! :D

Thanks all!

Harry

8) dont be afraid to ask questions if you need to, or just want to clarify something. thats what these forums are for.

You'll want/need to replace the lifters with the cam. With roller lifters you can get away with keeping them when swapping cams; not with regular flat tappets. The cam profile and bttom of th elifter wear together.

Thanks, Mugsy,
What's another trip to the parts store, more or less! I forgot to mention that I'm planning to reuse the existing rockers too. I realize adjustable higher lift rockers will be faster, but I don't want to be adjusting the things all the time!
Harry

it has been nearly 40 years since I shoved a cam in a 289 out in my driveway. I had my dad to help then,

You got nothing but dads here to help you out. Some of them are even younger than you now. The thing you have to remember is all these guys (and gals) are here because they enjoy working on and helping with these engines. So don't be shy. Ask all you want. The only time you'll get dinged is when it is clear you are not working as hard as the guys trying to help you.

Sounds like a fun project. You gotta share.

Be sure to take pics. Lots of pics.
Not so much for us, but for your own recollection. Of course, we'll want to see them all anyways....
:beer:

One of the best things you can have done at this stage is a little bit of porting. The bowl area under the valve seats are really miserable. The exhaust is so puny that you can barely get a thumb in there and there are a lot of ridges and bumps that need to get out of the way. Along with the larger valves, a three angle valve job helps a lot.

And a lot of people would tell you not to, but I see no reason to keep the valve guides protruding into the ports. There is a lot of guide left even after taking those lumps out. Also, not sure what version of cylinder head you have, but some of them were cast with air injection tubes in mind and have a protruding lump in the roof of the exhaust port.

Without some additional work like this, a cam, headers, and intake won't help the engine breath much better. That's why the 2V head and the CI aluminum head are worth so much power right out of the box. The log head is really congested and needs all the help it can get.

Back