Bore + Cam selection - rebuilding a 200 I6

wsa111":16qcjak4 said:
Are you going install a 8" differential??? With the T5 trans you can run a diff. in the 3.50 area.
Since you have the small carb torque will be your friend.

A smidge late to the party, but I completely agree with wsa111, I replaced my Mustang's gears with 3.55's and a .68 overdrive in a T5, and it's perfect for line and interstate, mine is used for both daily during the summer.

timray87":2gz4gddt said:
wsa111":2gz4gddt said:
Are you going install a 8" differential??? With the T5 trans you can run a diff. in the 3.50 area.
Since you have the small carb torque will be your friend.

A smidge late to the party, but I completely agree with wsa111, I replaced my Mustang's gears with 3.55's and a .68 overdrive in a T5, and it's perfect for line and interstate, mine is used for both daily during the summer.

I'm still trying to decide on a rear end gear ratio. Now that I got it running good with the T5 and 3.20 rear end I've found that 5th gear is basically useless for my driving habits since this car rarely sees the freeway. I'm thinking 3.80 is where I may go with it now. Thanks for the response though!

60sMustang":b5deqk4o said:
Humpbackshooter":b5deqk4o said:
60's.....any up-dates on the rebuild? How bout some pics if you got any.

Hump.

Sorry, just saw this. I posted pics in another thread but not here. Rebuild is complete and it runs great. Here is the link if you want to check it out. The second page of pics shows the after shots of the engine bay.

https://my1966mustang.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
Nice looking car! Only real car people upholster seats in their kitchen :)

timray87":sydaw4f4 said:
60sMustang":sydaw4f4 said:
Humpbackshooter":sydaw4f4 said:
60's.....any up-dates on the rebuild? How bout some pics if you got any.

Hump.

Sorry, just saw this. I posted pics in another thread but not here. Rebuild is complete and it runs great. Here is the link if you want to check it out. The second page of pics shows the after shots of the engine bay.

https://my1966mustang.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
Nice looking car! Only real car people upholster seats in their kitchen :)

LOL..Thanks! It was the easiest place and warm at the time, I do live in Ohio :roll:

I like the hight of the wrk platform 4 that job too. Just couldn't wrk ma fingahs in the 'garage' most winters.

wsa111":namh9wcx said:
Sure, faster valve opening produces more area under the curve. To achieve you have control the faster rate of lift with valve springs with have more tension.
If you want a grandmas cam go with the 260.
The faster rate of lift, providing you have the proper carburetion & exhaust mods will give you another 15-20 HP.

Can you guys help me out a little more on this cam conversation?
I've searched for this cam but low on luck!
Can you please post a link to the exact cam.. Thank you.

1998 200ci, C4, into a 1962 Mercury Comet (daily driver)
I'll be rebuilding my 200 soon and I'm collecting parts ahead of time.

Thanks, Darryl.

harris4d":2i88r5xs said:
Thanks, Darryl.[/quote]

Welcome Darryl!
we're right in the middle of a chat w/60s'stang.
Can U do us a favor and post a seperate thread, U author?. Do U know how to do that? We need to ask some Qs about it to get it right for you.
It will take some back'n forth chattin here so is not a brief post. Would like to continue here w/this guy. If it wuz a short side track we could help, here, on this 'thread', but that it is not. You're on the correct forum tho…
:D

harris4d":1ape0swj said:
wsa111":1ape0swj said:
Sure, faster valve opening produces more area under the curve. To achieve you have control the faster rate of lift with valve springs with have more tension.
If you want a grandmas cam go with the 260.
The faster rate of lift, providing you have the proper carburetion & exhaust mods will give you another 15-20 HP.

Thanks, Darryl.

Just call Jerry at schneider cams, tell him what you have, what you want it to do, and buy whatever he says (all cams custom ground to spec, expect 4-5 week lead time)

I'd like 2 C Darryl's typical driving conditions, elevation, use, RPM range etc (to offer assistance/get an understanding for me, others)
on it's own thread to reduce confusion, apply best practices, etc…

All I know is it's a "200 ci in a '62 comet", just can't imagine a 1998 engine,
sounds like he may need a block castings decoder.

chad":1sxl4fuz said:
I'd like 2 C Darryl's typical driving conditions, elevation, use, RPM range etc (to offer assistance/get an understanding for me, others)
on it's own thread to reduce confusion, apply best practices, etc…

All I know is it's a "200 ci in a '62 comet", just can't imagine a 1998 engine,
sounds like he may need a block castings decoder.
I misspoke.. 1978
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75127&p=578223#p578223

Back