cam plate torque setting

primal1

i have the cam installed, and went to put the plate on and found that i have know idea the torque setting for the bolts. classicinlines.com has the torque setting for almost everything else. does anyone know?

If they are a 1/4 inch bolt then it should only be torqued to 8 - 10 ft. lbs. you might also use some blue lock tite on the threads. Good luck :nod:

thanks. this is my first motor rebuild. a little scared. I've been wanting this for a long time, but now the time has come and really nervous. especially after coming across the bill from the machine shop and order sheet from classicinlines.com. made me realize how much this has cost me. I will be asking a lot of questions in the future.

:beer: Well congrats that's excellent and you picked a very good engine to be the first one to learn on. By asking questions when your unsure you will do great. So take your time and stop :shock: whenever you find yourself in a hard to understand situation. Good luck on your build :nod:

primal1":2lrwe7n5 said:
thanks. this is my first motor rebuild. a little scared. I've been wanting this for a long time, but now the time has come and really nervous. especially after coming across the bill from the machine shop and order sheet from classicinlines.com. made me realize how much this has cost me. I will be asking a lot of questions in the future.

Oil galley plug installed near the bolts, cam spacer installed behind pin with bevel toward cam journal ?

drag-200stang":2vuoqfgv said:
primal1":2vuoqfgv said:

Oil galley plug installed near the bolts, cam spacer installed behind pin with bevel toward cam journal ?

i will have to check the bevel. i did not take notice of that. thanks. i watch every episode every car show (so the wife says) but all they talk about the nuances of the ls, chevy small block, hemi, or ford fe engine. I wish somebody would put out a step by step book on our beloved engine.

also can i install the adjustable rocker arms of my 1962 170 onto my 1978 200 with a clay smith 264/274 cam and hydrolic lifters.

primal1":2vhec4nr said:
drag-200stang":2vhec4nr said:
primal1":2vhec4nr said:
thanks…I wish somebody would put out a step by step book on our beloved engine
there sorta is… got

falconhandbook.com

?

Yes? then U know what I mean. No? ask here ~
That , CI and a few vids on UTube our members put up R about all that's needed (for this non-mechanic to direct the machining, assemble, and rebuild).

"…install the adjustable rocker arms of my 1962 170 onto my 1978 200…"
look 1st to the length of the push rods - the 170/200 difference in that regard, and the amount of deck/machining to head (same regard). They hafta B correct length.

primal1":3gt5aykh said:
also can i install the adjustable rocker arms of my 1962 170 onto my 1978 200 with a clay smith 264/274 cam and hydrolic lifters.

Yes direct fit, must use matching push rods. The ones that is used with your 170. adjustable set.
Echo on here has some very good vids worth the search.

falconhandbook.com

?

i have the handbook. i just put it in my bag to take to work today and review things. its nice to have, but i mean a step by step with torque settings, notations of things to look for, ect. basically re-building a inline for dummies.

primal1":2j24rv5r said:
falconhandbook.com
?
i have the handbook. i just put it in my bag to take to work today and review things. its nice to have, but i mean a step by step with torque settings, notations of things to look for, ect. basically re-building a inline for dummies.

"…there sorta is…"
that's what I meant by the above.
Always Chilton's etc. Also the actual Ford Service manual for ur model (pricy @ last look in the '80s - $60) a mechanic would use @ comercial shop.
The vids R the best 4 me (4get them all but our members have some)
see above cites/sites. Also I guess google can come up w/more UTube vids on this matter.

There is a lot of catch up for us non mechanics but w/time the research is very fruitful. Going slow (lots of research B4 purchase & action) has been of benifit. A full plan made 1st and carried out w/o change is what really creates a good end product. Too many changes mid stream create a hack job.

The Hanes and Chiltons often have stuff that's copied directly from the original service manual.
All the engine rebuild procedures and specs are in there.
Your local library might even have those.
Another one to look for is the big Motor's hardcover books.
$_35.JPG

drag-200stang":27495yao said:
primal1":27495yao said:

Yes direct fit, must use matching push rods. The ones that is used with your 170. adjustable set.
Echo on here has some very good vids worth the search.

X2 yes Echo1955 did a great series when he was rebuilding his 200 engine! There were 7 that he made covering all most everything, many were posted here on the Ford six site but some were not. Here's the link to the first one and then you can search for the others.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_VFXm827wl

X2 I also liked those old Motors books if you can find the older (1960's) copy's they are loaded with specs and info. sadly the newer versions after the mid to later 1970's weren't as good. Now days the Haynes are still good if they happen to make one covering your car model. Good luck :nod:

Back