Help me read these plugs

norm02

[imagecap][/imagecap]Hey everyone,

I checked the plugs today on my freshly rebuilt 170ci and I wanted to show you all the pictures to get some opinions. I've put less than 100 miles on the motor since the short block and head were rebuilt but I only recently had a friend of mine dial in the tune. Before we dialed it in, I put approximately 60 miles on what seemed to be a decent temporary set up.

My friend is very knowledgable about these motors. In fact, he has a '64 Mustang with the same engine in it and he is a member of this forum. That being said, he fine tuned the motor using a very reliable vacuum gauge and an old school vehicle analyzer. He had it idling great and running strong in no time.

The motor built ~15hg of vacuum and we set the timing and air/fuel ratio. It ran great on the new found setting until the float in my carb started to stick and cause it to not idle. I worked on the carb today and now the float no longer sticks and it idles but the idle is pretty rough. It's perfectly smooth when accelerating.

I'm trying to figure out what else could be causing the rough idle so any ideas would be appreciated. Attached are pictures of the plugs that I pulled out tonight. Please let me know how these plugs look and please keep in mind that less than 20 miles have been put on them since the tune was dialed in yesterday. Thanks!
https://app.box.com/s/v9hl1cy1qpt4elfd7pjnioerf21gb34x

Edit: how do you attach pictures??

Hi, X2. Pretty good, but a little darker than I would expect. Probably from running rich when the float stuck. If you can't get the idle to smooth out there may be dirt in the idle circuit, or a vacuum leak. Good luck

norm02":3lxokk5o said:
[imagecap][/imagecap]Hey everyone, Edit: how do you attach pictures??

Under the very 1st Index
1st categ. click, scroll dwn 2 "RegistrationTips, Rules…"
scroll dwn 2 "Topic Images,…" click
Read the 2 posts

Back