1956 Ford I-6 223 Performance... The lost 6-Banger

A

Anonymous

I just found this site and was hoping to find information on the old workhourse 223 Ford. I have a 1956 F-100 and decided to be different and Hot Rod the 223. I found an old Ford Hot Rodder that has build Flat Heads, Sixes, and other Ford V-8's for over 50 Years. Under his direction and design we set out to double the horsepower. The block was boared .040 over, flat top pistons are the best we could find. He decked the block .080 and a head from a 1959 Ford Car was obtained as it's compression ratio was 1/2 point better than the truck engine. The new head was shaved .080, ported, 3-angle valve grind, 5 liter Mustang Exhaust Valves and valve guide seals. The Cam was done by Red Line Cams per his specifications. I installed a Clifford 4-BBL Intake Manafold, Edlebrock 500 CFM Performer Series Carb, a Clifford 6 into 2 header with dual 2" exhaust. We are currently re-working a NOS Mallory Dule Point distributor, and I topped off the engine with an Offenhouser aluminum valve cover. The engine has a few thousand miles on it now and I am experiencing a low oil pressure situation. I will be dropping the pan soon to find out why. I will check back from time to time, I am looking for tuning sugestions for the 223 as I need to dial in the performance as soon as my distributor is ready.

That's great what you are doing with that old beast, I (and everyone else) would love to see some pictures. But... I don't know much about those sixes, and you might find more help if you scroll down the main page to the "vintage ford sixes" forum, which is geared specifically toward the engine you have...

Back