All Small Six 1967 Mustang Inline 6 keeps cuts off and stalls out at times when accelerating

This relates to all small sixes

Tmacdagreat

Hello everyone, I have a 1967 mustang inline 6 cylinder that cuts off and stalls at times. it idles ok , but when i hit the gas pedal slowly when in park it cuts off or when i go into gear it does the same thing. After a few minutes it will allow me to switch to reverse or drive without cutting off annd stalling out. when I hit the road and drive everything’s fine until I get to a stop sign or stop light. It’s fine until I hit the gas to pull off from the light , then it cuts off. It turns right back on and continues driving normally, now when I put in neutral at a light or stop sign, it does not cut off or stall out when switching gears from the nuetral position. Basically it doesnt or very rarely cuts off or stalls out when accelerating or switching gears from neutral position. could someone give me some tips on this issue and help on how to troubleshoot the issue. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I would follow the Ford Shop Manual (FSM) for thorough basic tuneup first. All cars need that anyway. If the issue still exists, it's probably changed, so go from there.

🤔🤔
I would pay attention to vacuum lines, maybe isolate everything but the distributor. Might be an intermittent vacuum leak, a full time up should eliminate spark problems.
Keep us posted 🤞

🤔🤔
I would pay attention to vacuum lines, maybe isolate everything but the distributor. Might be an intermittent vacuum leak, a full time up should eliminate spark problems.
Keep us posted 🤞
Would this be a good vacuum gage to get?

I don’t see it??
I wouldn’t worry too much about a vacuum gauge, even if it is off a little, you are looking more at peak reading and at different rpm’s than a specific number. Vacuum leaked can be detected by spraying carb cleaner at suspicious points, engine rpm’s will drop when the cleaner is sucked in👍

I don’t see it??
I wouldn’t worry too much about a vacuum gauge, even if it is off a little, you are looking more at peak reading and at different rpm’s than a specific number. Vacuum leaked can be detected by spraying carb cleaner at suspicious points, engine rpm’s will drop when the cleaner is sucked in👍
IMG_4702.png
Thanks I’m trying the carb spray now !

Also a weak spark can cause these symptoms with a points distributor especially. If the points are barley able to make contact or are way too little gap the application of vacuum advance can cause ignition cut-out.
Not sure what system you have, just FYI.

Did the squirt begin IMMEDIETLY upon cracking the throttle- important. Any delay, it needs adjusting.
No it didn’t and the squirt was very weak , barely squirted. Also my butterfly piece stays on open when the cars off , is that correct?

Attachments

• IMG_4696.jpeg
    IMG_4696.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
Back