All Small Six 200 carb/distributor combo help needed

This relates to all small sixes

doublehfarm

I have tired to read through the old post and the sticky but cant really seem to find the answer needed. I'm swapping a worn out 170 with a 200 from a mustang in a 66 bronco. Was wanting to go ahead and change the load o matic out and replace the carb.. What are the best options for a stock engine/ weekend driver type. thanks

There are several options from a 1968 to 1974 distribor (these are duel advance with point ignistion) a Pertronix Ignitor could be installed to for a stock exterior look but electronic ignition inside. A 1968 carb is an Autolite or the 1969 to 1979 that are the Carters. Next is the faveriote of mine a 1976 to 1983 DuraSpark II ignistion system stock system and stock Motocraft parts perfect for a daily driver. The same carb's above also work with them. There are also DUI and HEI one wire Distributors and a couple of new High Tech units. There is now also a Snper Fuel Injection system that bolts on easy and give great drivability and they have a compatable new tech Distribitor for it one also. Best of luck.

DSII is an excellent value for the money spent, recommended for any six with points in my opinion. Good spark, reliable and can be enhanced with a custom curve from what I have read. If you have the Performance Handbook it will give good info on this mod.
I started with the 200 swap on my 66 Bronco many years ago!

If you want to keep your SCV carb, i can modify it to ported vacuum. Then you have the choice of distributors. Bill wsa111

Hi, what year is the 200? Are you going to rebuild it first? You can get more power and keep the stock look if you want. After you get the oil pan off of the 200 you should pull some bearing caps and check for wear. If you are not sure about a rebuild leave the rear bearing cap alone so you don't disturb the seal. Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook and come up with a plan. Good luck

I went with the progressive Weber and the DSII tuned by wsa111.
Happy camper.

There are china made 1v carbs that are cheap and apparently work well if you can't find any other carb. Some have over 200 cfm and with a good custom curved DSII you could get a few more hp.

I will be installing a Weber 32/36 (purchased from Vintage Inlines) and a DUI distributor (purchased from wsa111). The weather has finally started to turn nice, so the project starts tomorrow. I did a lot of research and this was the best for my 1966 Mustang. Maybe a combination you may want to consider.

I went with a cheapo $95 Amazon carb and a $99 "billet HEI" for our '65 200-6 Mustang. The carb turned out to be a PITA to get installed; I ended up machining a baseplate adapter, then putting together a pivot shaft because the throttle shaft was angled wrong. Had to hack up the air cleaner to fit the electric choke housing. That all took the better part of a weekend tinkering... but DAMN it runs better and I haven't had to muck with the worn out, hacked up and abused disaster of a carb since. Saved time in that alone...

The next issue became ignition since the pertronix module in the vacuum-advance-only distributor was hot enough but didn't have the right vacuum signal with the new carb. Replaced that with the cheapo HEI, gapped the plugs a little wider and got a significant improvement in driveability. The plugs were running real clean too.

Huge number of options. Problems? U run a multipurpose vehicle (not good at anything, OK at several). What U must do is decide the exact application for YOUR vehicle. Then the research U do can narrow the field. The auto is a system so 1 change 1 place effects all the others. Pick, develop a plan that U carry to the end (no changes mid stream - that means U have not done through research), seen too many hack jobs (even here). Look at budget B4 beginning too or U can not carry THAT out either.
"the Handbook" has a good staged approach (sequence of operations) so U can save'n drive, maintain AND upgrade:
How much will U do? farm out? (rhetorical Qs). Since it's 'engine out' I would wanna disassemble'n measure, decide on machining, cam, etc. But that's just me~ Let us know how U do, need more (& more'n, more'n, more'n...) bronks on here 8^0

The "Best" option by far is the Holley 1100 sniper with Hyper spark Ign. setup, I put this setup on my 65 and it runs so goooood. No more carb heat, boiling over, cold starting issues, it just flat out runs great.

Back