All Small Six 215 to 240/300 Distributor

This relates to all small sixes
Good Evening,

I have a 1952 Ford Mainline and I am looking to do an intake and carb swap using a Clifford set up. the only problem is the dang load-o-matic distributor. Doing some research on this distributor, I have come across numerous mentions of swapping out LOM for a 240/300 distributor. I have seen where it has been mentioned to change out the oil pump to a 240/300 oil pump which would change the oil pump drive to match the 240/300 distributor. Has anyone done this? I am looking for some advice on the process before I start buying parts as well as any pitfalls I should be aware of. I would like to keep the straight six but hop it up a little to make the car more enjoyable to drive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Good Evening,

I have a 1952 Ford Mainline and I am looking to do an intake and carb swap using a Clifford set up. the only problem is the dang load-o-matic distributor. Doing some research on this distributor, I have come across numerous mentions of swapping out LOM for a 240/300 distributor. I have seen where it has been mentioned to change out the oil pump to a 240/300 oil pump which would change the oil pump drive to match the 240/300 distributor. Has anyone done this? I am looking for some advice on the process before I start buying parts as well as any pitfalls I should be aware of. I would like to keep the straight six but hop it up a little to make the car more enjoyable to drive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi sedantudor, and a big welcome to the Ford Six forum! There is also another way and that's if you can find one of the Ford 215, or 223 Old aftermarket Mallory Duel Point Distributor's they are a drop and work very well, not so easy to find anymore but they made lots of them so there are still few out there.

Yes several people have done this swap in their 223 & 262 Ford Sixes, at this time I don't know of anyone that has done this swap to a 215 Six however it should be possible to do them the same way. Its pretty straight forward swap but its not a drop in you will need to do some simple Mod's and use a 215 or 223 Distributor Driven Gear (a 262 with it's stock Timing Gear's and Camshaft can only use the 262 Driven Distributor Gear the Cam turns in reverse of the 215 or 223 Cams) on the replacement 240 or 300 swap Distributor that you plan to use so that it meshes together with the 215 / 223 Camshaft Drive gear. To save some confusion its best to ask for a 240 / 300 for a 1968 to 1974 Ford Car or F100 Point Distributor these are the Duel Advance units used in all state's (or if your in Calif. know how to tell them apart, they started using them in 1966 Ca. Models). You can also use the 1976 to 1982 Ford 300 Six Electronic DuraSpark II Ignition System but only if your Car has been converted over to a 12 Volt Electrical System. The early 1965 to 1967 Point Distributor's are also a Load O Matic so its no sense in using one those Distributor's. To do the swap you need to match up the Base of the stock 223 distributor dimensions, the driven gear position, and use the 223 Distributor gear so it exactly match's those dimensions on the replacement 240 / 300 swap distributor. Also know that you will need to do some work on the advance curve for any of these swap distributors and if you want there is a site member that does this kind of work.

"Hum Not" whoever mentioned that you can use the 240 or 300 Six Oil Pump in a 223 or 262 six is mistaken just looking at the two Oil Pumps next to each other you can easily see they are different shapes and have a different block mounting. You don't even need to change your Oil Pump if you don't want to. But if you do want to change the Oil Pump out for a new one than go for the 1964 223 Six Oil Pump its a bolt in and will also have the same 5/16 inch size Hex Oil Pump Drive as the 240 or 300 Distributor's. The Oil Pump Hex Drive is going to be a Custom length so you either need to use the 1964 Hex Drive Shaft which might work or be very close or you will need to Mod a 240 / 300 Hex Drive Shaft to the right length to work by cutting it down so it fit's. Your current Oil Pump can also be used and you would then would need to make a combo Shaft from your stock one to a Hex Drive these have been made using a Drill Driver 5/16 Socket Head and some cutting and welding to the OEM Shaft and making a short Hex Drive Shaft to fit. Best of luck on your Swap.

Last edited:
Good Evening,

Have you made any headway on this? I'm thinking us 215 guys have to change the oil pump in order to make the swap work

I don't see any reason that you could not take the 240 shaft and grind or mill the pump end to have the tang to drive the early pump.
Don't know that it has ever been done, but it seems possible.

I don't see any reason that you could not take the 240 shaft and grind or mill the pump end to have the tang to drive the early pump.
Don't know that it has ever been done, but it seems possible.
Well I'll be trying it in a few months. I'll definitely report back on if it's a go or not.

Back